Minimum necessary gear for bike packing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
He used 3 bolt cleats so his shoes weren't much good for walking around in. So in addition he had a pair of crocs (cheap lookalikes actually) for the evenings. My 2 bolt shoes were fine for everything.
Even as a "2-bolt user" I'd recommend the crocs/flip-flops tip. For two reasons
- it is soooo nice sometimes to just let your feet have a change of scene, and
- your shoes MIGHT need drying out after a ride. Probably never happen in Bonnie Scotland, but well, you know ...

(also they weigh very little and are easy to lash to your luggage in an attractive fashion)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Even as a "2-bolt user" I'd recommend the crocs/flip-flops tip. For two reasons
- it is soooo nice sometimes to just let your feet have a change of scene, and
- your shoes MIGHT need drying out after a ride. Probably never happen in Bonnie Scotland, but well, you know ...

(also they weigh very little and are easy to lash to your luggage in an attractive fashion)
I never thought of that, but fortunately I didn't have to learn that lesson. We were lucky with the weather.
Mind you, think of the aero penalty of lashed-on crocs. ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
And another thing ... my friend (who was in sole charge of navigation) had his phone in a waterproof clear mount on his handlebar bag. That was in addition to a Garmin (which was the primary routing device) Whenever we went a bit wrong, which we did a few times, he reverted to Google Maps navigation with audible spoken cues to get us back on track. This worked very well and it's something I might experiment with in future.

There was one exception to this, we were staying with some friends of mine and as we approached their house I took us down a footpath "I've walked along here plenty of times, it'll be fine for bikes" I said. You can guess the rest. "Oh, I'd forgotten about this bit".

You're missing out, I've had some fantastic nights in a bivy. Sleeping high up in the Cairngorms on the longest night of the year, another time being woken up by a red deer wondering what I was.

There again, you can also have some miserable nights in a bivy, Last year in Slovenia, being eaten alive by mosquitoes all night wasn't much fun and probably ranks as one of my worst nights out. So actually, maybe you're not missing out!

i bought a bivi with face mesh as i hate mozzies! also, spray a little repellent around the bag just for added protection.

i also use a basha/tarp over the bedding area just in case of heavy rain.

i definately prefer that set up compared to a tent.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For me it depends where I'm touring, areas with good access to food and water and those without.
I think it also depends what level of degraded service you're willing to accept from your bike and clothing. For example, my bike is most fun to ride when completely unladen but then even a puncture means walking and that's both relatively common and no fun, so a lightweight puncture kit and pump is worth its weight and space. The stuff to replace brake cable and pads is borderline and usually not worth it because one brake will usually get you to a shop that will fit replacements for a little extra charge, but it may be a different decision for a steep hilly route.

In many areas one can buy virtually anything one needs. T-shirt stinks? Tesco and bin the old one.
And if you try really really hard, you can make as much pollution as a motorist! I'd buy a new T-shirt if the old one failed or was lost or destroyed, but not simply because it needs a wash.

Having a well researched set of daily bookings creates an unwanted need to reach a target destination. Sometimes I want to ride further, others I want to stop sooner.
I don't see daily bookings as limiting because I put them at the lower end of my distance range and it's usually easy to ride a longer way there if you feel like it and have time. It also makes you much less likely to spend the night in a hedge or bus shelter.

Baldy

Über Member
Spent many nights in a bivi bag when I was in the military and when Alpine climbing. These day I prefer a tent, my tent only weighs a tad over a kilo and is tiny when rolled up. Once up it has room to stretch out and sit upright. Enough space to sit out bad weather if nessary. If it's dry and midge free I can always roll back the door flaps and see the stars.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To book ahead or not to book ahead depends on how you react to riding with/without a known place for the night. Some might find it overly restrictive to have to go to a set destination, and would be saddened by the loss of room to improvise. Others (I'm in this group) would have the entire day ruined by the constant stress of worrying about were I would be staying that night.

So do what suits you, and don't do what doesn't.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
He's going to B&Bs so i agree the toilet stuff not so important - but you brought up bivvying. I would always carry toilet stuff if bivvying. Or could get somewhat interesting.
So would I. But he is asking about minimum. I always carry more. But I can manage a few days with my minimum list. Depending on the time of year.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I think it also depends what level of degraded service you're willing to accept from your bike and clothing. For example, my bike is most fun to ride when completely unladen but then even a puncture means walking and that's both relatively common and no fun, so a lightweight puncture kit and pump is worth its weight and space. The stuff to replace brake cable and pads is borderline and usually not worth it because one brake will usually get you to a shop that will fit replacements for a little extra charge, but it may be a different decision for a steep hilly route.

That's why I carry tubes, puncture kit and a tyre boot and don't bother with cables.

And if you try really really hard, you can make as much pollution as a motorist! I'd buy a new T-shirt if the old one failed or was lost or destroyed, but not simply because it needs a wash.

I can't help but feel you're being a bit literal here. My philosophy is to carry out everything I carry in. The point is in many areas there is no need to carry the kitchen sink as most things can be purchased easily.

I don't see daily bookings as limiting because I put them at the lower end of my distance range and it's usually easy to ride a longer way there if you feel like it and have time. It also makes you much less likely to spend the night in a hedge or bus shelter.

I didn't say it was limiting but that I don't want a target to achieve be it low or high. For me it creates an unwanted pressure. I've slept in a French hedge, it was OK.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We did LEJOG bikepacking this year, staying in B&Bs. We called home half wayish so it was 2 x 5 day tours of about 90 miles per day. So I have some experience of exactly what you are wanting to do

I bought one of these:
BACKLOADER | Topeak
10 litre is available about £45. It was exactly what I needed. I also used a Topeak toptube bag. Bags plus all kit was about 3.5kg.

Kit list:
Spare cycling top
Spare cycling shorts
Spare socks
2 t shirts
1 pr lightweight trousers
1 pr nylon shorts
1 pr flip flops
2 pr underwear
1 lightweight showerproof jacket

2 inner tubes
2 CO2
CO2 adaptor
1 pump
Spare tyre (bit excessive but we were in remote areas of Scotland)

Phone
Garmin
Sunglasses
Charging cables, USB plug
Toothbrush, travel toothpaste. No soap etc B&B will have
I adjusted my bottle cage mounts so I could fit 2 x 1 litre bottles under the top tube bag
multitool

I think you've got enough clothing to handle Scotland in poor weather. Cycling shirt if it's warm. T shirt, Cycling shirt, waterproof if it's cold. Could take some longs and maybe some lightweight overshoes. We did LEJOG in July so even when it was wet it wasn't cold so always rode in shorts

The thing I didn't take, but I'm very glad that @I like Skol did, was a rag and some chain lube. After a wet day the chain needs fettling to keep it running smoothly

Last edited:
You're missing out, I've had some fantastic nights in a bivy. Sleeping high up in the Cairngorms on the longest night of the year, another time being woken up by a red deer wondering what I was.

There again, you can also have some miserable nights in a bivy, Last year in Slovenia, being eaten alive by mosquitoes all night wasn't much fun and probably ranks as one of my worst nights out. So actually, maybe you're not missing out!

Yeah, I get your point.

Knowing myself, I'd hate bivvying. Like, I dread the idea of it...I'm sure if I had to do it, I'd manage just fine, especially when tired after a day of cycling.

Again, I know myself. Even when I was a kid, I was adventurous to a certain extent and I always hated camping. Therefore, now that I'm older and more built for comfort, I'd trade sleeping outside in the Cairngorms for a comfy bed, hot water and a cooked breakfast :laugh::laugh:

To book ahead or not to book ahead depends on how you react to riding with/without a known place for the night. Some might find it overly restrictive to have to go to a set destination, and would be saddened by the loss of room to improvise. Others (I'm in this group) would have the entire day ruined by the constant stress of worrying about were I would be staying that night.

So do what suits you, and don't do what doesn't.

Yeah, I'm like you. I like to do my research and plan/book in advance. When I wake up in the morning, I want to know exactly where I'm going and I want to be 100% sure of the fact that there's another nice room and comfy bed waiting for me at the end of the day :okay:

Top Bottom