Minimum necessary gear for bike packing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Yeah, I'm like you. I like to do my research and plan/book in advance. When I wake up in the morning, I want to know exactly where I'm going and I want to be 100% sure of the fact that there's another nice room and comfy bed waiting for me at the end of the day :okay:
On our LEJOG about half of the nights we stayed in the only accommodation in the village. We would arrive knackered and hungry. Knowing there was a room with a shower booked and waiting with a pub down the road for dinner was essential. I can't imagine trying to book online in the afternoon or knocking on doors hoping for a room when I just want to shower, get changed and have a beer

No, we had a great time and went to places we would normally not have ventured. The only time it went wrong was when a trainee Dr joined us for a day and just could not get his head around the lack of a map and drinking beer at lunch time. We just gave him an alternative view of touring.
it was the "two people cannot be lost as they have each other" that I was rather wondering about - nothing against beer at lunchtime at all - on tours/multi-day rides I am a particular fan of beer for breakfast. Am also a great fan of not over-researching trips, trusting to serendipity.

Therefore, now that I'm older and more built for comfort, I'd trade sleeping outside in the Cairngorms for a comfy bed, hot water and a cooked breakfast :laugh::laugh:
You can have both - I've bivvied in odd places a few times - followed by a cooked breakfast in a spoons. And beer :smile: Felt like sinful luxury.

You're only young/old once.

Re-live your carefree interail days. Or experience for the first time.

How long have you had your drinking problem?
am fine thanks.
chill.
Most/many nights this is my tipple of choice:

I won't shock/trouble you with the dreams it often induces.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Re-live your carefree interail days. Or experience for the first time.
It may surprise you how many trains require reservations with interrail now. Everything is run so much closer to full now, whether trains or small town hotels. There simply isn't the slack any more, as having assets sitting unsweated means someone will buy you and repay their purchase loans by running you fuller or sell stripped assets.

Last edited:
Even as a "2-bolt user" I'd recommend the crocs/flip-flops tip. For two reasons
- it is soooo nice sometimes to just let your feet have a change of scene, and
- your shoes MIGHT need drying out after a ride. Probably never happen in Bonnie Scotland, but well, you know ...

(also they weigh very little and are easy to lash to your luggage in an attractive fashion)
These are also handy for evening campsite wear
https://www.lomo.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000088.pl?WD=shoes&PN=wetsuit-boots-1.html#SID=15
for those into watersports.

It may surprise you how many trains require reservations with interrail now.
:sad:
yep I did fear that it wasn't as wonderfully carefree as in my youth - just roll up, scribble in your european pass/bible so that no-one could read where you were going (even including behind the "iron curtain") in whatever language, jump on the train, wake up in another country - one more reason for folk to cycle tour instead.

Top Bottom