Minimum seatpost length?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twowheelsgood

Hi, I have a bog-standard alloy seatpost but it really is preposerously long, having around 30cm inside the frame.

How short could I cut it and still remain safe i.e. mainly not damaging the frame or risk having the post snap?

chris42

measure from the min insert line to the end then that is the safe amount you need to leave

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
At least an inch below the bottom of the intersection of the toptube and seattube is the most often head advice. If its a compact frame with a low toptube it can mean a lot of seat post still.

MichaelM

Guru
Without going and measuring, I reckon the min insert of a Thomson post on the mtb is around 11/12 cm - thats on a 44cm post. I'd say you could quite safely cut it to have an insert of 15cm (probably a bit less).

TimO

Guru
Why do you want to cut it off? Is it difficult to get in, or are you just trying to save a bit more weight?

barq

Steve Austin said:
you'll want more than 5cm ;)

*looks up*

What he said.

OP
OP
twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Hi OK 10cm it is. I want to cut it because it takes a ridiculous amount of time to get in and out of a frame and it's tricky looking after a 40cm greasy pole (oo-er) when you remove it for security. As it has my Brooks attached to it, weight isn't exactly the issue!

Top Bottom