Minor Day Races Thread 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
As Tinkoff are not competing in the RideLondon Classic, it would be nice to see Adam Blythe, (who hasn't a scheduled ride coming up), as National road race champion, with the British jersey on (riding for Great Britain).
From Cycling News
Adam Blythe will debut his British Champion’s jersey as he races for the GB squad, alongside Dan McLay and Alex Dowsett.

I am so going to get myself a Basque hat
Con5zl4UIAAjABw.jpg

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
Young James Shaw is making his debut for Lotto Soudal and there's plenty of other Brits

Buddfox

Veteran
Just putting this question here as it is semi relevant and starting a new topic didn't seem worth it.

Are there any rules which govern which non World Tour races that the World Tour teams have to do? Either that they have to do a certain number of junior races, or that they are not allowed to do more than a certain number? Or are they just free to do whichever races they want and which event organisers allow them to do.

I tried researching this in the context of the expanded calendar for next year, and amid concerns expressed that Continental teams will be pushed out of some events (eg Amgen Tour of California). Wondered if it meant we would see fewer World Tour teams doing the minor day races (hence posting the question here)

brommers

Years beyond my wisdom
I suppose that as they've added 10 new World Tour events for next year that whatever the regulations are for this year will be changed for next year.

lyn1

Über Member
Just putting this question here as it is semi relevant and starting a new topic didn't seem worth it.

Are there any rules which govern which non World Tour races that the World Tour teams have to do? Either that they have to do a certain number of junior races, or that they are not allowed to do more than a certain number? Or are they just free to do whichever races they want and which event organisers allow them to do.

I tried researching this in the context of the expanded calendar for next year, and amid concerns expressed that Continental teams will be pushed out of some events (eg Amgen Tour of California). Wondered if it meant we would see fewer World Tour teams doing the minor day races (hence posting the question here)

Currently the WT teams decide which HC and .1 level races they wish to do. They cannot do .2 level races. There are limits to the number of WT teams allowed in HC races (70%) or .1 races (50%) so the organiser will make the final choice if over subscribed. However, many races will not reach the limits as this would severely over commit WT teams.

The new setup for 2017 seems to be up in the air as there is disagreement between UCI and teams about the new WT races. It is alleged that teams agreed to the expansion on the basis that all future 2017 WT races (old & new) would only involve a minimum 12 WT teams per race except Grand Tours and major Classics. The UCI announcement suggests all old WT races will require all 17 teams to attend and 10 teams to attend the new WT races. Depending on how this pans out there may need to be a change of regs to allow Conti teams to ride WT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom