Minor Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hi all, this is my cheery popping post so please be gentle!

I have a slight problem with my front wheel and some help would be much appreciated.

I have a specialized road bike which has Alex Rims (I know they're not the best and I will change them). This morning whilst riding to work I noticed a noise coming from the front of my bike and upon inspection, I noticed there was some movement in the front wheel...as if it was loose on the forks but it wasn't. Anyway, it was the bolts either side of the hub which I have tightened (by hand) and the movement is no longer there but now the front wheel spins slower than it did before and a lot slower than the rear. Why is this and what can I do to resolve it?

I did do some reading before hand (great site with some very helpful people!!) and also did a search but couldn't find any answers so if there is someone out there that has an answer; it will be very much appreciated!!

gdean

Farky said:
Hi all, this is my cheery popping post so please be gentle!

I have a slight problem with my front wheel and some help would be much appreciated.

I have a specialized road bike which had Alex Rims (I know they're not the best and I will change them). This morning whilst riding to work I noticed a noise coming from the front of my bike and upon inspection, I noticed there was some movement in the front wheel...as if was loose on the forks but it wasn't. Anyway, it was the bolts either side of the hub which I have tightened (by hand) and the movement is no longer there but now the front wheel spins slower than it did before and a lot slower than the rear. Why is this and what can I do to resolve it?

I did do some reading before hand (great site with some very helpful people!!) and also did a search but couldn't find any answers so if there is someone out there that has an answer; it will be very much appreciated!!

Have a look at http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html - it's almost certainly the hub cones/bearings you're having trouble with.

Graham

Big T

Guru
Yep, definitely the cones. They were loose and now you've over tightened them. You need to get yourself some cone spanners and get them adjusted so that there's no play, but they still run freely. You'll need to take the wheel out of the forks to do this properly.

k-dog

^ yes you need to take it out of the wheel but if you are using a quick release you then need to check the tension with it in position - the axle of a quick release hub has some compression built into it so when you tighten it it tightens the cones.

You want to leave it with a little play when you tighten the locknuts and then fit it and check for movement then. Basically you want the most play you can get when it's out the fork but for that to disappear when you tighten it in place.

The other way to do it is to fit your wheel on the outside of the fork (with the frame off the ground is easiest) - you'll obviously need to tighten the other side of the quick release a few turns (or use a spacer the same thickness as your dropout).

Then you can get at the cone nuts of the side that is sticking out of the frame - but still check it under tension but just without having to take it in and out a bunch of times.