Minor Races Thread 2015 - [SPOILERS]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Oman at least actually has some variety. It would be awesome if they did a Tour of Yemen, which really does have some serious mountains, but they might all get shot. It's a country with a heavily armed population.

The Couch

Über Member
I think Dubai was on Sky last year so I'm really, really looking forward to the scenery in this one.
Yes, last year was amazing: the Burj Khalifa from the sea side in the opening stage, from the land side in the next stage and ending with a tour around it in the final stage (of course combined with the Palm islands each time) :hyper::rose::hyper:

The only negative was that they had the one stage where they rode in a different area... can't believe why they wouldn't grab the opportunity to show the tower some more :blink:

The Couch

Über Member
Oman at least actually has some variety. It would be awesome if they did a Tour of Yemen, which really does have some serious mountains, but they might all get shot. It's a country with a heavily armed population.
They can call it the "Cycling Paris - Dakar" :blush: .... sponsored by AQAP and the Houthis

... by the way, Government Agents who are reading this (probably guided here by a "dangerous words search engine"), say hello to my little friend called Sarcasm... and please don't arrest me :dry::blink:

The Couch

Über Member
Kris Boeckmans (Lotto) takes the first stage of the Etoile de Besseges, winning the sprint ahead of Edward Theuns
(that last one might be a name to remember, Topsport Vlaanderen has a knack at finding talent)

rich p

ridiculous old lush

Yep, had to go from a longer way than ideal with Sabatini only doing a few metres on the front!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There were all kinds of shenanigans going on in the front his time! Lots of lead-out mean obstucting other teams etc. Giant-Alpecin got really messed up, hence Degenkolb ending up nowhere. Sky played it just right this time, helped by the fact that Guardini went early (because he was on his own) and Cav felt obliged to follow, leaving Viviani really to ride his own race.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cav would have won that a couple of years ago although it's no bad thing that the competition is tougher these days.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That was a great finish by Degenkolb - his training over the last year has clearly moved even further away from being a pure sprinter (not that he ever was), to being a puncheur, and I think we will see him right in the mix for some of the classics and semi-classics this year. And always great to see Valverde being beaten. Good ride by Cav too - he could still get the overall if he gets some bonus seconds tomorrow.

Top Bottom