Minor Races Thread 2015 - [SPOILERS]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Couch

Über Member
It's hard to admit... but it does seem that the most consistent rider of last year (Valvpiti) has started this season in a very similar way and might again be a mighty adversary the whole year through :dry:

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
That was a great finish by Degenkolb - his training over the last year has clearly moved even further away from being a pure sprinter (not that he ever was), to being a puncheur, and I think we will see him right in the mix for some of the classics and semi-classics this year. And always great to see Valverde being beaten.

Yep, great bit of riding by Degenkolb and even more satisfying that he beat Valverde on a stage made for him and which most thought he'd take (if you count "a couple of pundits I saw on twitter" and me as "most".)

raindog

er.....
yeah, I was waiting for Degenkolb to come good - I like that lad.
And Cav still up front after a 17% climb - excellent! Apparently he's targeting M/SR - wouldn't it be great if he could pull that off again?

With the passage of time, am I the only one who worries about Gilbert's "amazing season"?

carling

It wasn't the finish I expected. Cavendish had some biting comments about "other teams" in his post-race interview.

Do you have a link to this interview?

OP
OP
Pro Tour Punditry
Bob Jungels wins the TT, not sure if he gets the overall tho at the Etoile des Besseges

edit: Jungels takes the overall, with Tony Gallopin 2nd and Kris Boeckmans 3rd

Last edited:

The Couch

Über Member
The UCI would disagree with putting the Tour of Qatar here... but we know better :smile:

Rojas took the win in a selected bunch sprint yesterday (against some pretty big names: Demare, Sagan, Boonen, Guardini, Kristoff and Bouhanni)
EBH andd Pozzato got missed out on the 1st peloton because of the cross winds, showing potentially a hint that a huge improve in their form isn't to be expected
Kittel also missed the sprint because of this, but that's less of a surprise or worry

Some extra comments:
Van Avermaet got some extra training in (since he couldn't contain himself) ... he is really desperately awaiting the upcoming classics to (try to) grab a big win
"Lesser names" but with some nice Classic results in the past: Breschel, Bozic and Vandenbergh also showed willingness to get some extra mileage in them
Jasper Stuyven has a nice 6th place, I am telling you know, he is going to get multiple top 20 placings in the "Classics" races and Cancellara will have an excellent teammate in him

The Couch

Über Member
2nd stage of Qatar was much more windy (causing a much more shattered peloton)

Kristoff takes it in a sprint before with Guardini, Van Avermaet, Sagan and Boonen.
Other names that were in the bunch: Rowe, Stannard, Blythe, Stuyven and Terpstra

Top Bottom