Minor road works sprouting up all over the place.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
It's been going on in Plymouth for the last 18 months, major roadworks but also mini works on roads that have needed attention for some time. I don't mind though, if it gets rid of the huge seams and potholes that can throw us two-wheeled commuters under a bus.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
It's been going on in Plymouth for the last 18 months, major roadworks but also mini works on roads that have needed attention for some time. I don't mind though, if it gets rid of the huge seams and potholes that can throw us two-wheeled commuters under a bus.
All the money seems to be spent in South & East Devon. It's very noticeable that the roads are much better in those parts of the county. North Devon barely gets a look in. Some of our roads would disgrace a third world country.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Around Barnet, Virgin Media are laying their cables, in doing so they are digging trenches along all main and side roads causing traffic mayhem. Over the weekend in Whetstone, actually started Friday morning there was temporary lights covering a distance of around 200 yards. The phasing was so far off the mark that traffic was backing up towards Finchley in one direction and Barnet in the other, plus traffic trying to get out of adjoining roads simply couldn't.

AndyRM

XOXO
Large parts of Newcastle and the surrounding area have been getting worked on for the best part of 18 months now. It's incredibly irritating.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I may be biased, as I can cut through the traffic on a bike, but I'd prefer roadworks rather than dangerous road surfaces. The two big projects in Plymouth are long overdue and will hopefully prevent hours of queues for future generations.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I've seen squirrels digging my lawn up.
Fekin road works all over Peterborough as usual.

In fairness I used to be one of the digger up ers..so I can't complain too much.

Reactions: gbb

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yes i've noticed it going on around here. More chiefs than indians. Men wearing high viz, white helmets(why do they need helmets when all the work's going on below head height?),shirts and ties,directing men wearing high viz(but covered in muck)clothes and woolly hats. As i post there's a wagon outside sucking the crap out the drains. I applaud this work:bravo:,as the drains/grates are on a hilly road. If they didn't suck the dead leaves and stuff out then when we have a downpour the rain water could overflow up to my door.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm assuming you've not actually been to a third world country...

That's a risky trap you've set there as many developing countries have better roads than us. Britain is almost unique in the world for the density of its traffic, the density of the road network and the Atlantic weather, which brings cycles of warm wet weather followed by freezing weather. With the almost complete neglect of gully-cleaning and ditch maintenance, water is running all over the roads and penetrating anywhere the tarmac is not perfectly sealed, freezing and breaking up the road.

I'm in Africa where, in comparatively wealthy countries such as South Africa the major roads are in pretty good shape because highways authorities don't need to spend money maintaining gullies and ditches (African roads generally have a huge ditch to cope with occasional cloudbursts) and the roads are usually warm and dry. It's only in countries like Nigeria where local Government are stealing all the money and road contracts have a 65% "dash" attached that they roll the laterite, roll on 2 inches of tarmac and leave it, so that the first time it gets hot or there's a flood and a big truck turns, the tarmac gets torn up and a huge pothole appears, blocking the traffic at the junction.

Eastern-European countries like Serbia and Hungary have new networks of excellent motorways paid for by the EU, which get very litte traffic and run through open countryside with no disturbance to the surface by utilities, so outside of cities like Belgrade and Budapest the motorways are superb. In the cities though is a very different story for reasons similar to our own.

Last edited:

slowwww

Veteran
Is it not just the usual practice of Local Authorities being desperate to use up all of their budget before the end of their financial year (March), knowing that if they don't use the full budget, the amount next year will be reduced?

I know somebody who used to do work for a couple of London Borough who used to do this, and he sarcastically referred to is as painting-unicorn season!

gbb

Legendary Member
That's a risky trap you've set there as many developing countries have better roads than us. Britain is almost unique in the world for the density of its traffic, the density of the road network and the Atlantic weather, which brings cycles of warm wet weather followed by freezing weather. With the almost complete neglect of gully-cleaning and ditch maintenance, water is running all over the roads and penetrating anywhere the tarmac is not perfectly sealed, freezing and breaking up the road.

I'm in Africa where, in comparatively wealthy countries such as South Africa the major roads are in pretty good shape because highways authorities don't need to spend money maintaining gullies and ditches (African roads generally have a huge ditch to cope with occasional cloudbursts) and the roads are usually warm and dry. It's only in countries like Nigeria where local Government are stealing all the money and road contracts have a 65% "dash" attached that they roll the laterite, roll on 2 inches of tarmac and leave it, so that the first time it gets hot or there's a flood and a big truck turns, the tarmac gets torn up and a huge pothole appears, blocking the traffic at the junction.

Eastern-European countries like Serbia and Hungary have new networks of excellent motorways paid for by the EU, which get very litte traffic and run through open countryside with no disturbance to the surface by utilities, so outside of cities like Belgrade and Budapest the motorways are superb. In the cities though is a very different story for reasons similar to our own.
Add to that the woeful quality of pothole repairs, often i suspect a shovelfull of tarmac thrown from a passing lorry, somewhere in the rough direction of said pothole.

I'm exaggerating of course...but not by much :laugh:

Top Bottom