Minor road works sprouting up all over the place.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it not just the usual practice of Local Authorities being desperate to use up all of their budget before the end of their financial year (March), knowing that if they don't use the full budget, the amount next year will be reduced?

I know somebody who used to do work for a couple of London Borough who used to do this, and he sarcastically referred to is as painting-unicorn season!
I suspect most of industry has this as well. In my former large internal engineering dept, March would be look at the books, see what we hav'nt spent against budget....and spend it...pronto.

classic33

Leg End Member
.....as the financial year draws to a close.
Temporary traffic lights: directing alternating traffic flow.
Fluorescent men,
mini JCB's, holes being dug and inadequately re-filled.
Seems to be a yearly ritual.
Anyone else noticed?
Or is it just my neck of the woods?
Can't they just use Hi-Vis like anywhere else. Getting fluorescent men in to do the work us bound to cost more.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
Cambridgeshire seems to be one large pothole at the moment. If only our streets were paved with gold....

There's plenty of money, it just doesn't get anywhere outside Cambridge itself. First there was a busway, now there's talk of an underground metro system. What's next, a monorail?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5164124, member: 45"]You've observed that whenever you see people working on the roads that there are more men in ties standing around than people working?[/QUOTE]
Yes,that's true in some cases. Not only that but even when there are a few "indians" some will be stood around doing very little.

Levo-Lon

Guru
The "men in ties" will be civil engineers and the lazy "indians" are usually there for safety reasons, or are just waiting for materials or whatever, lots of reasons. Besides, lets see you use a pick axe and / or a pneumatic drill for a non stop 8 hour shift?

Well that's also bollox my dear man, not these days with the very welcome H&S .

I used to use Jack hammers all day but then it was my business and no one could tell me to stop.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The "men in ties" will be civil engineers and the lazy "indians" are usually there for safety reasons, or are just waiting for materials or whatever, lots of reasons. Besides, lets see you use a pick axe and / or a pneumatic drill for a non stop 8 hour shift?
Most of the digging is done by small diggers/excavators now. You rarely see or hear pneumatic drills these days. As for the lets see you use a pick axe and / or a pneumatic drill for a non stop 8 hour shift? I've done my fair share of hard physical work over the years. I enjoyed it and always asked for such,when less strenuous jobs were offered.

screenman

Legendary Member
I saw a road worker fill a pot hole near here with tarmac on Thursday, the pot hole was back again this morning and the tarmac scattered over the road. It has been reported.

classic33

Leg End Member
Last person I saw "swinging a pick", went through a water main.

Meant another lot had to come out and dig more up to replace the damaged pipe.

Tim Hall

Most of the digging is done by small diggers/excavators now. You rarely see or hear pneumatic drills these days. As for the lets see you use a pick axe and / or a pneumatic drill for a non stop 8 hour shift? I've done my fair share of hard physical work over the years. I enjoyed it and always asked for such,when less strenuous jobs were offered.
Look up "vibration white finger" or "hand arm vibration". You'll see that you're not allowed to use such tools for a continuous 8 hour shift and quite right too.

Top Bottom