Mint 1990's Thorn Nomad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
If anyone out there is looking for probably the best touring bike ever built, then this could be it !
A 1990's Thorn Nomad, Mk1 frame, Expedition Spec in unused condition for under two grand.!

At the time I bought mine (which was the basic Mk1 Nomad) the Expedition spec was out of my financial league.
I don't think I'd get this one past SWMBO somehow.

I wonder what the history is ?
Who buys a top of the range expedition bike and then sticks it at the back of the garage for twenty years ?
upload_2017-2-18_14-45-46.png

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bikes/0-thorn-nomad-exp-530-uk-built-expedition-touring-bike-used/

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Nice bike but crikey the pricing is......enthusiastic. Even for SJSC.

Bodhbh

Guru
But it only has 24 gears, and I have read on here just the other day that that is tantamount to a badge of shame.

I'd be more worried it only has a 26 sprocket at the back. Don't care about 7/8/9/10 speed, but I like my wimpy MTB gear ratios!

As above I really like the paint job, but the price is way OTT. You could get a handbuilt frame and spec it out better yourself for that?!

But it only has 24 gears, and I have read on here just the other day that that is tantamount to a badge of shame.
Who was that adrian? Name and shame. 24 is pretty much ideal for an expedition bike I think.

I remember in the late 90s thinking of buying a thorn but never got round to it. Those were the days (maybe into the beginning of the century) when I think they would sell you a tourer with a rohloff for a fair bit under a grand.

These days, to be honest, i consider them overpriced.

I've just bought a new (in sale) expedition tourer for £700 which, though i'm not the most techie bod, i am pretty sure is nearly the equal of that, and could be made the equal for not a lot.

And that rack Thorn have fitted. Is it really up to extended expedition use?

Please note brains i am not criticising your original post and it is definitely a handsome looking bike.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brains

Brains

Legendary Member
Who was that adrian? Name and shame. 24 is pretty much ideal for an expedition bike I think.
I remember in the late 90s thinking of buying a thorn but never got round to it. Those were the days (maybe into the beginning of the century) when I think they would sell you a tourer with a rohloff for a fair bit under a grand.
These days, to be honest, i consider them overpriced.
I've just bought a new (in sale) expedition tourer for £700 which, though i'm not the most te chie bod, i am pretty sure is nearly the equal of that, and could be made the equal for not a lot.
And that rack Thorn have fitted. Is it really up to extended expedition use?
Please note brains i am not criticising your original post and it is definitely a handsome looking bike.

Agree Thorn maybe overpriced today, but I'd still buy another one!
My Nomad was one of the last MK1's produced, they were not designed for Rohloff's or Disks, that was the (fugly) Mk II's which came out in about 2002
By the time my Thorn Nomad was made it comes with an industrial rack which designed with South American rippe road surface in mind, it's had 27,000 miles of loaded use on my bike and is still in top condition.

I think it was the original Nomad I would have bought Brains.

Though am I mistaken or do they also feature in the fugly thread? Some Thorns definitely look damn odd - stacks of spacers - a frame that somehow manages to seem "way down there".

Top Bottom