mio cyclo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jasonmccullum

Über Member
@jasonmccullum and @Supersuperleeds
have you had any problems in the rain the rain pressing buttons etc? i read a review saying he had this problem
Cheers Ed
no problems at all and ive been out in the rain. also i noted someone say there are no map updates... thats not true as soon as you plug the unit into your computer it automatically loads any new maps available. so there are always free updates

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
any negatives or anything the garmin has an advantage on then?
Cheers ed

jasonmccullum

Über Member
never had a garmin so i cant answer that but i am extremely happy with mine and only paid £170 which is half the garminssells for

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
never had a Garmin so i cant answer that but i am extremely happy with mine and only paid £170 which is half the Garmin sells for
I am now leaning towards the Garmin due to a few things
1. The Mio doesn't offer anything over the garmin and it doesn't offer anything less apart from that it is slightly cheap (I would either get Mio or Garmin edge touring which is £200 and Mio is £170).
2. Garmin is a better known brand and i know their customer service is said to be good.
3. I am planning to use it for LEJOG and don't want to risk getting stuck at a T junction in Manchester with a black screen having no idea where to go, for some reason it just isn't my sort of fun!

But i'm still not totally settled so you could still sway me.
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Did you factor in the Surprise Me feature? It's surprisingly good.
hehe :laugh:
got that on both Mio and Garmin edge touring :biggrin: and it is one of the features i want and expect to use. but it does make choosing a little harder :sad:s
Cheer Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Updating maps:
if i buy a mio or garmin touring today then in a few years they have closed some roads and built more and more new roads and opened them and there are always new housing estates going up!

so for the mio are map updates free? where do i get them? how do i update them?

so for the garmin are map updates free? where do i get them? how do i update them?
Cheers Ed

choplee

i had a mio 505 HC for around 5 weeks after wanting to upgrade from a basic computer .... If i'm honest i had nothing but problems with it ... first time use seemed good with loads of spec and info when riding ... I found the screen not bright enough even at full brightness in the day . The gps with the maps always showed me being off my route... I contacted mio and they said i need an update on the software ..... This wasn't going to happen ,as i use Apple OS and mio at the time wasn't compatible which i wasn't told when i brought it . Mio said they are working on it ,but didn't know when it was going to be ..:sad:.
I do some sportives and used it on my first epic 100 of the year to the unit run out of power and shut off before finishing ... This also meant it didn't save my info as well as leave me without any ride info for the last 15 miles ...:tongue:..
i contacted mio again and they agreed i could return for a full refund with a ref code .....
Got a garmin edge 510 team now and i've been very pleased with it overall .:bicycle:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
thanks
i was going to go for the Garmin touring in any case due to not finding any really bad consistent reviews on the Garmin and any bad ones sounded like either they got a rare duff unit or they didn't know how to use it
but i did hear quit a few bad ones for then Mio's
Cheers Ed

Recky

Regular
never had a garmin so i cant answer that but i am extremely happy with mine and only paid £170 which is half the garminssells for
Hi I have just got a mio 305 and I am having problems with loading workouts on to Strava. It is showing that a workout has been done but there are no data being displayed! Any ideas? Also where did you get the outfront mount for £15. Thanks for the help.

Hi I have just got a mio 305 and I am having problems with loading workouts on to Strava. It is showing that a workout has been done but there are no data being displayed! Any ideas? Also where did you get the outfront mount for £15. Thanks for the help.

The program you will find on the link below is the best way of doing it.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21542886-Import-Garmin-HR-Cadence-data-from-Garmin-GPX-files

A SRAM mount will work. They are on offer at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickv...ium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.cyclechat.net

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My 505 lasted okay on an eight hour ride today, was down to the last bar and that was without any of the power management stuff turned on. I did take my Satmap as well and that still had three bars left, though I do use the power management controls on it

Recky

Regular
The program you will find on the link below is the best way of doing it.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/21542886-Import-Garmin-HR-Cadence-data-from-Garmin-GPX-files

A SRAM mount will work. They are on offer at the moment.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-quickv...ium=affiliates&utm_campaign=www.cyclechat.net
Got the sram mount today and that works a treat. Still having problems with uploading workouts to Strava. I am using the indoor mode so no gps on but it only shows cadence, heartrate and time on Strava, No distance or av speed. Is this a known problem with mio and Strava? Uploaded to strava as suggested but the same out come. Thanks for the advice cubegame.

Top Bottom