Miracle product: non-adhesive electrical tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration. Having long suffered at the hands of the sticky goop left behind by electrical tape I decided to take a punt on this non-adhesive stuff. It is sometimes called harness tape or friction tape.

It looks exactly like normal electrical tape but the idea is that you stretch it as you wrap and it binds on to itself through friction. Obviously it is no use if you just want to stick it on to a surface but is meant for wiring harnesses and the like.

So I tried using some to secure my dynamo wiring to a brake cable. I was pretty skeptical at first but was impressed when it went on as it seemed to adhere to itself through black magic. "Still, that'll start peeling off soon" I thought and promptly forgot about it.

Fast forward to today and my next cable change. The tape was still fully stuck down with no peeling at the corners and once I started it off it came away steadily rather than suddenly unraveling. It took me a while to realise why there was no sticky mess all over it.

I strongly recommend it to anyone who binds things with electrical tape.

Tangoup51

Non-adhesive tape? Bloody witchcraft.

OP
OP
Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Sounds like self amalgamating tape, we occasionally use it, a general purpose repair tape really, it can have its uses.

I think the self amalgamating stuff actually chemically bonds to itself?

This is just straight PVC tape I think. It removes cleanly from itself as well as from whatever you've stuck down.

We use PVC tape on joints on all the airlines, and it does seem to stick to itself pretty well, but easy to cut it when you need to replace it when the joint has been broken.

Top Bottom