Mirrors ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I'm thinking of getting a bar end mirror, which to be be honest does disappoint me as when I was fourteen I could ride no-handed and stood up.
Now I'm nearly 50, I struggle to look behind me without a little* 'veer', anyone any pointers ?
Can you tell me how to ride a bike again ?
I mean I can look over me shoulder in a car no prob, but on a bike......

* for 'little' read big !!

llllllll

Can't help you with the riding, I've never been able to ride no handed. But if you're resorting to mirrors, get some bling ones :blush::

http://www.ridelow.co.uk/ridelow-double-twisted-rectangle-lowrider-mirror-clear-p-158.html

frog

Like you I don't seem to have that rotational flexibility anymore, wonder if I ever did actually :blush:

I find letting go of the right hand and twisting at the waist gets me a good view over the right shoulder. As long as it's not done too quickly then the bike keeps a straight line. Just turning my head and trying to look and I only see out of the corner of my right eye plus the bike starts to turn.

I was once told that it's better to look down and and back, under your right arm, as that isn't so unsettling but on flat bars that doesn't get me all that good a view either

gbb

Legendary Member
You can learn to ride no hands again....i have at near 50. Its as easy now as it was then , with practice. I easily managed a mile or so continuously on my run in the summer. Brilliant on a long ride to rest from your normal position.

Looking behind....i used to wander to one side as i did this, and assumed its because you pull your shoulder as you twist your neck. This movement is transmitted down one arm...causing the veer.

Conciously relax your arms as you look round, it helps a lot.

Sounds simple, but i more often than not dont turn my head too much. Just cock my head round and you can hear behind you. If you cant hear anything coming, you dont need to look round.

domtyler

Über Member
At your age it would probably be advisable to stop and dismount before engaging in any kind of twisting activity! :blush:

To look behind you properly (and all decent cyclists master this simple technique) stand on the saddle and turn round and look behind. This is best done going down hill so you don't lose any speed.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I sometimes , when appropriate, stand up on the pedals and swivel at the hips to look backwards. I can't for the life of me remember on what occasions I find it better than the neck swivel.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Patrick Stevens said:
To look behind you properly (and all decent cyclists master this simple technique) stand on the saddle and turn round and look behind. This is best done going down hill so you don't lose any speed.
But then I'd have to twist my neck to check for low bridges !

bonj2

Elmer - re the look behind, move your head DOWN and back, rather than trying to just rotate it straight round like an owl. It's more natural. Also try taking your right hand off the bars first and make sure you're going straight for a few seconds then do it.

gbb said:
You can learn to ride no hands again....i have at near 50. Its as easy now as it was then , with practice. I easily managed a mile or so continuously on my run in the summer. Brilliant on a long ride to rest from your normal position.

Looking behind....i used to wander to one side as i did this, and assumed its because you pull your shoulder as you twist your neck. This movement is transmitted down one arm...causing the veer.

Conciously relax your arms as you look round, it helps a lot.

Sounds simple, but i more often than not dont turn my head too much. Just cock my head round and you can hear behind you. If you cant hear anything coming, you dont need to look round.

This ery technique caused the collision between me and the POB in Battersea Park last year. He couldn't hear me coming up so suddenly pulled a u-turn and I t-boned him.

Just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it isnt there!

gbb

Legendary Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
This ery technique caused the collision between me and the POB in Battersea Park last year. He couldn't hear me coming up so suddenly pulled a u-turn and I t-boned him.

Just because you can't hear something doesn't mean it isnt there!

Hmmm, maybe i havnt conveyed it very well. :blush:

Head to the side but not twisted right round, ear facing back and look out the corner of your eyes rearward.
You see and hear enough to know somethings either there or not there. I do this really quite regular, so you pick up on any noise coming up.
An occasional 'glance' isnt enough. Do it regular.

I suspect Jacomus your description of him (POB) probably distinguishes him from someone like us...
I assume POB is the same effectively as my BOB (Bloke on bike)..who rides without any great interest or care....hence his lack of awareness of you. A quick and innefective glance or listen when preparing to do a u-turn is pure stupidity.

A quick and regular cock of the head and listening while travelling on the straight has served me very well. No way would that suffice when making a manoever....

Top Bottom