Misery guts that I am, I'm longing for autumn

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chrisc

Guru
I normally love the very warm weather but I found cycling extremely hard work today. Not that habitual kind of hard work, that extra special super hard kind of work.

Bit sticky today. First time I've sweated enough to soak the top tube with drips. Thought it was raining when it started dripping off my ear lobes and hitting my knees... I normally only start to leak like that when I get home.

Crankarm

Guru
nudging 50 c for me today !!! gotta be honest cant wait for a good uk summer's day at about 16c ^_^

Nowhere in the UK has been that hot from weather conditions in the last few days. Maybe the 28-30C we have experienced has caused you heat stroke making you wildly exaggerate.

geo

Nowhere in the UK has been that hot from weather conditions in the last few days. Maybe the 28-30C we have experienced has caused you heat stroke making you wildly exaggerate.

Not exaggerating at all, I'm working in Saudi Arabia. And believe me it most definately is nudging 50c on quite a few days

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Autumn is great 'cos:

1. Longer nights, more interesting constellations for us astronomers
2. Autumn tree colours - Acer glade at Westonbirt arboretum and also Kew Gardens is amazing.
3. Bonfire night (those saved - might - need - them bank statements go up in smoke!)
4. New bikes and cycle kit come out
5. NEC cycle show
6 This year, a bit nearer the Hobbit. Looking forward to another slice of Jackson's take on Middle earth after the sh**e that was Prometheus^_^
7. Dr Who is back on after the tedious over-hyped Olympics
8. I get two weeks off at Christmas, so we're nearer to that^_^

OP
OP
Y

yello

Most of the above (I can skip epic tedium of The Hobbit)

I have pretty much stayed indoors for the last 48 hours to avoid temperatures of 40c +, It was 30c in my bedroom at 11pm last night, and I'm hoping for something a little more pleasant tonight. The rest of the week is forecast for some respite, only hitting mid 30s. Give me chilly autumnal mornings over this kind of oppressive heat any day.

geo

Just incase Crankarm really thought I was exaggerating :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 124f.jpg
    124f.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 18

Crankarm

Guru
Just incase Crankarm really thought I was exaggerating :thumbsup:

See above. :headshake:

asterix

Comrade Member
Most of the above (I can skip epic tedium of The Hobbit)

I have pretty much stayed indoors for the last 48 hours to avoid temperatures of 40c +, It was 30c in my bedroom at 11pm last night, and I'm hoping for something a little more pleasant tonight. The rest of the week is forecast for some respite, only hitting mid 30s. Give me chilly autumnal mornings over this kind of oppressive heat any day.

Our max was 36C (altitude 420m). Home has remained about 25 to 27C as it is highly insulated, mostly north-facing and groundfloor. The soil temp is acting to cool it. The sun-exposed wall has a large climbing plant growing up it - good sun screen. My neighbour seems hardly to notice the heat and continues to plod around doing this and that. She is 91. Meteo predicts 3 more days about 30C then it'll plunge to the mid-20s and I can resume work!

OP
OP
Y

yello

Meteo predicts 3 more days about 30C then it'll plunge to the mid-20s and I can resume work!

Hallelujah! Looking forward to that. I get maybe 2 hours to work before 10am. After then, it's just too uncomfortable. There's maybe 30 minutes around sunset too - seems weird mowing the lawn at 9pm!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice and cool today so we are doing a nice 20 miler. We have been cycling in the heat and have found with 2 waters each, some factor 50 and pointing ourselves into the breeze, its not been too bad. Its just when we have to stop at junctions or we have the breeze behind us, its not so nice.

Lived in Aus for a while so can do the heat. I am really nesh and don't do cold. I go out on my bike wrapped up warm. If I could by a 'duvet' cycle top, I would be a happy woman :laugh:

Top Bottom