Misleading info on Sirrus Elite 07 model?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

If you think your seatpost is carbon fibre, as is advertised as having, have a closer look!

I recently purchased this bike and found out by accident that the seatpost is in fact alloy with a 'carbon wrap'. I complained to the retailer who at first tried to fob me off with small print like 'specification subject to change without prior notice' and then insisting Specialized has stated the alloy seatpost was the correct one for the bike, despite all advertising saying 'carbon fibre'.

After threatening them with Trading Standards and the Trade Descriptions Act, the retailer gave me sufficient gift vouchers to purchase a carbon seatpost... and I get to retain the original seat post as well.

If you've also been misled... COMPLAIN!!

peejay78

serves you right for buying such a piece of crap.

urbanrider

peejay78 said:
serves you right for buying such a piece of crap.

Well thats not nice

008 , thanks for that bit of info, something to look out for when buying a new bike, btw hope you enjoy the new ride :rolleyes:

twowheelsgood said:
Could it be the shop has switched out a genuine CF post for a foil wrap POS hoping you average Joe wouldn't notice?

no mate its not the shop i was working in a shop which is stocking spec... and its not just sirrus rainge that is like it. the forks are like it to alloy 1/2 way down!!!:rolleyes:

peejay78

again, serves you right for....

twowheelsgood

spandex said:
no mate its not the shop i was working in a shop which is stocking spec... and its not just sirrus rainge that is like it. the forks are like it to alloy 1/2 way down!!!:rolleyes:

I must say that's poor for Specialized then. I'd always regarded them as a bit of a safe, almost no-brainer purchase as their products are usually good to excellent.

Mr Celine

Discordian
008 said:
If you think your seatpost is carbon fibre, as is advertised as having, have a closer look!

I recently purchased this bike and found out by accident that the seatpost is in fact alloy with a 'carbon wrap'.
If you've also been misled... COMPLAIN!!

Does your alloy post have a 'zertz' insert? Thats a clear plastic bit near the top of the tube which you can see through from one side to the other.

My 06 Sirrus comp certainly has a carbon fibre seatpost, with the zertz insert.

OP
OP

Mr C - 07 Sirrus Elite is simply advertised as having a carbon fibre seat post, no mention of zertz insert. So at first glance everything looks OK. In fact, the sales assistance insisted it was carbon fibre until I told him to remove it and have look inside. He looked a bit sheepish afterwards and proceeded to try and fob me off...

twowheelsgood - I did think the shop mechanic may have swapped the seat post but their customer service department insist the seat post is carbon fibre wrap. They advised that Specialized also confirms the same. I'm satisfied with my outcome but anyone else out there with the same problem, should complain big time!

BTW, the 08 model sirrus elite is now advertised as having a carbon fibre wrap seat post!

Just thought I'd give a heads up for anyone else out there who may have bought an 07 model sirrus elite. Not everyone will completely remove the seat post when they're adjusting the height, so they may never know they've been ripped off :evil:

urbanrider and john the monkey - thanks.

peejay - f**k Off :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: but good point. IMO, the bike isn't too bad... but I'm no expert! :blush:

peejay78

ignore me, most people do. i just popped out of special interests for a few minutes to see if i can cause some havoc.

i'm being hideously, snobbishly elitist. it's a great bike.

i prefer/own this:

1319778766_16dda81477.jpg

this is my pub/shop bike:

1321319430_7e89a1399b.jpg

this is my longer rides bike:

224423500_242c84c849.jpg

Top Bottom