Misophonia - any suffers here ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
For a long time, I have struggled with noises that make me angry - to the point where I just want to punch someone, causing me get up and leave.

Some of you may have heard me mention in other forums "the woman who eats crisps on the outside of her head" for example, but it goes much further than this.

The office is full of pen clickers and knuckle crackers. The close proximity of people eating drives me nuts - to the point where I don't eat at work at all as I feel physically sick.

I avoid meal times with other members of my family too, especially the kids eating cereal in the mornings

and you can't mention this to anyone else because they think you are just a miserable B...

I thought this was just me being stupid, but today I saw this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-46193709

I know self-diagnosis is a dangerous thing, but after reading Margot's plight, I can relate with everything mentioned in the article.

Does anyone else here suffer from this, or know someone who does ?

MichaelO

Veteran
I've known that I have this for a while now (I think off the back of a similar article a few years back). Once I read that it was "a thing", it explained a lot. Eating noises, in particular, drive me insane. The number of arguments I've had with the missus when she eats twiglets... I've also avoided eating with others over the years - but being in an office environment is probably the worst place I could be spending my days. Coughing, sniffing, clicking...it all drives me up the wall!

Jody

Stubborn git
Does anyone else here suffer from this, or know someone who does ?

I've thought about this before as something that winds me up. I don't think I have a condition as such but the feelings are irrational. I'll not go into it all but what got me thinking was the sound of someone drinking water. They didn't slurp, or breath funny but when swallowing they made a noise. To say it wound me up is a massive understatement and I have no idea why.

Since then I have been aware when other random everyday noises are winding me up. As you say, certain pens clicking, people tapping on their desks, noise when people eat etc. Who knows what the answer is. I suppose its a bit like tinnitus. You know its there so just have to get on with things and not focus on it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I can't stand the sound of whispering. Not person to person whispering but any on tv or radio programmes, or on songs. I can't explain why there's a difference but I have to switch it off or mute it if I hear it, otherwise I get really stressed by it. It's weird.

Milzy

Guru
This is a great thread, I get this with many children & certain people on the factory floor making silly noises. It sounds like been in an old Victorian lunatic asylum.

gbb

Legendary Member
I suspect a lot of people get wound up by different noises. My wife for instance says the sound of a didgeridoo almost sends her nuts, her heart rate goes up and she finds it intensely annoying.
Noisy eater for me...cant stand it, makes my head jangle when I hear people do it.

U

User6179

My list of noises that drive me bonkers are too long to mention but are mostly clicking type noises
The worst of them is absolute Bast$%ds who like to hold an empty can and squash it a little then let it pop back into shape :cursing:
I once went out the back of a girlfriends house in search of some wind chimes in a neighbours garden, retrieved and binned.

Globalti

Legendary Member
No, for me it's antisocial noises like idiot taxi drivers who pip their horns, loud car exhausts and loud crap music, partying neighbours, barking dogs and leaf blowers and strimmers.

I have a few:

The guy next to me at work who can`t stop typing all day, and I mean really vicious typing that can be heard for miles around, we aren`t in an admin/office job, we are on the tools, so why does he feel the need?? I have to keep walking away because it drives me nuts.

Banging car doors - my neighbours love them. I get woken up every day by this, not just once, but repeatedly, what are they doing?? They are all as bad as each other

Thumping music from cars

Car engines running for no reason

There`s a theme here.............................................

Noisy eaters - totally unnecessary and disgusting

Plastic rustlers. There`s always one, whenever I go shopping, there is somebody close by who has to rustle through noisy packets - once I tune into it I`m fuming!!

There are others, but these are my main ones

Katherine

Guru
I find the noises from the overhead fans for the projectors in classrooms really unpleasant and distracting. (I work in a school)
At least we don't have squeaky chalk anymore.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Yes, I am a very peaceable person usually, but other people's excessive eating, and drinking noises, how have I not murdered anyone yet ???

And I relate to the bottle / can snapping one - will you stop doing that please.

Cellophane, or plastic wrappers..Especially on the radio - for some reason.

All totally irrational I know, but still unbearable.

Thankfully I work outside in the countryside - Maybe just as well for everyone - people who don't get this think we're being awkward.

But it's a real thing :blush:

Last edited:
Top Bottom