Missed flight question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
Almost certainly NOT. Your ticket will likely be cancelled once you no show for the first leg.

It’s a tactic that airlines employ to avoid people booking a return ticket and only using the last leg to save costs. It works the other way round as they cannot stop that. This is speaking from my own experience.

I agree with this purely coz the airlines are a bunch of tossers when it comes to onward journeys.

gbb

Legendary Member
Certainly with scheduled flights, when working abroard, my employer used to book 'open' tickets (if thats the right term)

The uncertainty of finishing a job on time often meant i'd not make a flight, so my employers had the option to rebook it without fuss.
You used to pay more of course but i don't know what the premium is for that ?

Slick

Guru
Certainly with scheduled flights, when working abroard, my employer used to book 'open' tickets (if thats the right term)

The uncertainty of finishing a job on time often meant i'd not make a flight, so my employers had the option to rebook it without fuss.

That's why I got waitlisted on a recent flight, which is really frustrating but when it was explained to me, I did understand why airlines do this.

Jody

Stubborn git
If my wife books a package holiday for us and I miss the outbound flight, will I still be able to use my paid for return leg once I catch up with her at the destination?

My friend did this when we went to Amsterdam. Turned up at the airport with his old passport.

Paid/caught another flight later that day and then returned on the original booking

vickster

Legendary Member

Open…at least double the cost in my experience of booking work flights in the past. We now travel on the cheapest fares for work but most are changeable for a fee if not refundable

gbb

Legendary Member
That's why I got waitlisted on a recent flight, which is really frustrating but when it was explained to me, I did understand why airlines do this.

I had never thought about the flip side (to someone else) of having open tickets.
As Vickster says (confirmed by Googling) open tickets are apparently considerably more expensive so perhaps (only perhaps) they prioritise your eventual booked flight...and someone else is potentially getting bumped off.

Even back in 2007 (when flights were probably considerably cheaper), I remember my ticket for Uruguay costing around £1700 although that was business class.
Given many of my trips, particually to Cyprus, I would be working right up to the point a taxi picking me up, I would frequently ring my boss and get him to extend a few days if something wasn't right. It must create a little havoc within the system

Top Bottom