Missing chainring bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This morning I noticed that 4 of my 5 chainring bolts were missing. The one near the crank was in place. Never had them come loose before. Is this a mechanical or a thieving toerag?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Where do you leave the bike?

otek59

I wouldn’t of thought it was a thieving toerag they would have stolen the bike and left the chainring bolts, seriously I’ve never had the bolts come loose what type of bike is it how old is it and what type riding do you do

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Hub gear city commuting bike, single chainring. Last chainring was fitted about Sept 2018.
I oiled the chain a few days ago and didn't notice anything missing.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I wouldn’t of thought it was a thieving toerag they would have stolen the bike and left the chainring bolts, seriously I’ve never had the bolts come loose
I have had 4 out of 5 chainring bolts come loose (chainrings fitted myself) - and realised this 100km in to a 200+km cycle. Quite difficult to tighten with the tools I had. As well as my hex key I needed a wide bladed screwdriver - I managed to borrow a crowbar which allowed me to tighten them sufficiently to complete the ride.
So I suggest that the OP's bolts have just sequentially come loose and fallen out.
If a rider looks down at their chainset (eg after a shift), if one of the chainrings is 'meandering', stop and check the bolts DAMHIKT.
Remedial action: Procure set of 5 bolts; remove and clean chainrings and cranks; refit rings using medium locktite on the bolt threads.

silva

Über Member
It's rather surprising that that single remaining bolt sufficed to withstand the force. Did you go downhill the last weeks?

Last edited:
Top Bottom