Misspelt bike ads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
just plain old typo's, we have all done it

You certainly have - the plural of typo is typos.

A regular contributor on here thinks the plural of bike is bike's.

And don't talk to me about peddles and breaks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Cough, cough, 'there?'

It is acceptable to start a sentence with and, which I knew, which is why I do it occasionally.

Purely a matter of style, you may choose not to do it, but it remains acceptable.

And that is the end of it.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
It is acceptable to start a sentence with and, which I knew, which is why I do it occasionally.

Purely a matter of style, you may choose not to do it, but it remains acceptable.

And that is the end of it.
I was trying to alert you to your incorrect use of 'there.'

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was trying to alert you to your incorrect use of 'there.'

My crystal ball is a bit cloudy tonight.

Yes, I missed out are after there.

As a return shot, your use of inverted commas is incorrect.

The question mark should be at the end of your 'sentence'.

Thus: cough, cough, 'there'?

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
My crystal ball is a bit cloudy tonight.

Yes, I missed out are after there.

As a return shot, your use of inverted commas is incorrect.

The question mark should be at the end of your 'sentence'.

Thus: cough, cough, 'there'?
Give your crystal ball a miss then, it clouds your typing.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I should not complain as sometimes a lazy advert can work in a buyer's favour.

I've certainly picked up some absolute bargain used bikes where a poor description, photos, and/or spelling has worked in my favour.

40% of Army recruits have a reading age of 11 years. This may be similar for skilled manual jobs like plastering and bricklaying. I would imagine poor readers are not good writers either. I have no objection to this as society needs all those trades to survive and whilst I can read and write (just), I can't do any of the manual jobs above. So I have no issues at all with bad English or spelling in adverts as long as the content is present. Sometimes it is laziness but I can't prove this when the author may be trying their best.

Interesting observation about the army recruits. I can't say I'm surprised, as military service has always been an option for those whose civilian career choice might be somewhat limited.
Poor readers aren't good writers. I work with someone who can barely do either. He can't make any sense of any technical diagrams either. I suspect he's dyslexic and didn't achieve at school because of that, because he clearly isn't actually thick, and so long as he's working with someone who can deal with paperwork he gets on OK. You just can't leave him to get on with stuff by himself..

Top Bottom