Missus almost bought it today.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

g00se

Veteran
I'm the one with the cam and never had anything dodgy to post up or report - so it's my missus who almost got taken out by a minicab RLJing.

At a crossroads and lights went green, she headed off and was just missed by a taxi going through at quite a rate of knotts! The driver had someone in the front with him and they were having a row. She only got part of the reg, but she also got the firm's name and it was quite a distinctive car.

She rang the local police on the non-urgent no (0845 456 4567 for Norfolk) and they're very interested. Should be sending someone over for a statement later. Quite promising really...

Vincealot

I need to buy a camera. I come across a fair few RLJers on my monring commute. I leave for work at 4.30am. The roads are not very busy and It'd be fair to say 90% of vechiles I come across at that time of the morning jump the red lights. I've had a few close calls.

Nothing worse then close calls. I abouslutly hate them. A. Because it scares the life out of me and B. because I always react in a bad tempered manner and lose the plot! and C. because well I might killed the next time.

karan733

D. Because nothing happened, it doesnt get reported/investigated. So the driver gets off scot-free ;)

Helly79

Hi goose , im glad to here that she is ok. It will be good to see what comes from the phone call to the police. Keep us posted.

wafflycat

I'm surprised that Norfolk plod had anyone answering the phone. Last time I tried it, I was hanging on for many, many minutes and gave up.

Don't expect too much of Norfolk plod, when MrWC was victim of hit-and-run, when we had car description & partial registration it took them over an hour-and-a-half to attend and the comment was "We get several of these a week and there's nothing we can do about it" accompanied by a shrug of plod shoulders. Cars RLJ-ing in Norwich is rife. I see far more motorists RLJ-ing than I do cyclists. Same in Dereham, Swaffham, Fakenham, KL - it's mainly motorists doing the RLJ-ing.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
G00se, glad she's ok!! I hope for the very sake of everyones safety that the Police take it seriously and that the licencing peeps get some notification.

thomas

the tank engine
g00se said:
I'm the one with the cam and never had anything dodgy to post up or report - so it's my missus who almost got taken out by a minicab RLJing.

At a crossroads and lights went green, she headed off and was just missed by a taxi going through at quite a rate of knotts! The driver had someone in the front with him and they were having a row. She only got part of the reg, but she also got the firm's name and it was quite a distinctive car.

She rang the local police on the non-urgent no (0845 456 4567 for Norfolk) and they're very interested. Should be sending someone over for a statement later. Quite promising really...

wafflycat said:
I'm surprised that Norfolk plod had anyone answering the phone. Last time I tried it, I was hanging on for many, many minutes and gave up.

Don't expect too much of Norfolk plod, when MrWC was victim of hit-and-run, when we had car description & partial registration it took them over an hour-and-a-half to attend and the comment was "We get several of these a week and there's nothing we can do about it" accompanied by a shrug of plod shoulders. Cars RLJ-ing in Norwich is rife. I see far more motorists RLJ-ing than I do cyclists. Same in Dereham, Swaffham, Fakenham, KL - it's mainly motorists doing the RLJ-ing.

+1. Expect nothing, then you won't be disappointed when you get nothing. I tried doing an online report ages ago now and never heard back from that. That had a nice clear video too... Done them in person too and no luck.

I don't think a lot of police officers really realise what somethings are actually like.

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
Cheers folks,

Well, some news. The cops called her today and have asked her to come into the main station - Bethel St. - and make a formal statement. So fingers crossed it goes a bit further from there.

Brains

Legendary Member
Peoples absolutely dismal regard to traffic rules and norms never ceases to amaze me

Two incidents yesterday

The unbelievable overtake:
Traffic including a double decker bus queued up for a temp traffic light around road works
It's not a big queue, 10-20 vehicles, and you get through in max two changes of the lights
Car come us behind the bus
Bus is going through on 'rose' lights
Car driver sees the lights turn red
Overtakes the bus on the wrong side of the traffic island
and then overtakes the van in front of the bus
and then cuts in
forcing van and bus to break very sharply
Traffic now coming the other way beeps at bus and van for 'obviously' going through on red.

Other one
I'm driving a big 17 seater minibus, fully loaded with large teenagers
It's well after 7pm, so the local bus lane is open to all traffic (and even if it's not, I'm a bus anyway)
Long queue for the lights - maybe 3-4 changes to get through
Bus lane is free, so I barrel down the bus lane
Big pick up half way down moves half way across the lane to block me
I've driven this minibus across Europe and through the lanes of Cornwall, so I know the width, I pass him at 25mph, at least half an inch to spare on each side !
He obviously did not believe anything could get through and I get a long blast on the horn
I then see the issue. A broken down car in the bus lane, OK so signal right, whip around it and back to my bus lane
Hang a left at the lights and then stop 200m down to pick up one last (V.big) teenager off the pavement
Mr Pick-up is right on my tail, as he was trying to overtake my stopping was a real surprise.
He passes me, and then stops diagonally across the road
"Steady !" I say to the 17 large teenagers, who all take an interest.
(Que: The whistling Good, Bad and the Ugly theme)
We look
He looks
Police turn up, they must have seen the entire issue, flash the blue light
He blinks 1st and does a U turn across 4 lanes of traffic and calls us all sorts of names
We carry one. I hope his card is marked .....

OP
OP
g00se

g00se

Veteran
Oh well, no surprise... No other witness and an incomplete plate means they wont' take it any further....

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
g00se said:
Oh well, no surprise... No other witness and an incomplete plate means they wont' take it any further....

Sorry to hear that , after my incident when a guy actually got out of the car and threatened me the cops said the same thing.
Hope Mother Goose is ok .

Top Bottom