mixing groupsets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Noone has said this, well, not on this thread afaics. There are two 'limitations' to RDs: max sprocket size and max 'wrap' (capacity). As said: "a largest sprocket of 36t is way out of spec for any Campagnolo RD". A long cage RD addresses the (wrap) capacity issue, not the limitation on the largest sprocket the RD can manage.
For a short cage (55mm) 11 spd RD, the Campagnolo specification is 29T max sprocket size and 33T capacity. With a compact crankset needing 'part' of that capacity (16t) the cassette can only have a small/large sprocket delta of 13t. You do the math, starting at 11t or 12t. I'm not saying it can't be run out of spec, but there are trade-offs. If the long cage (triple) RD is used, there is the (wrap) capacity (but no increase in max sprocket capability).
I did the math. 33 - 16 = 17

OP
OP
berty bassett

berty bassett

Legendary Member
well - i won't pretend to understand all that !!
sounds like bad news though
i have 50 /34 on front and was hoping for a 36 largest on cassette using a roadlink if i had to
dont sound good does it - after all the good news first :sad:
think i will buy shimano 36 cassette , use it on one bike but try it on the other and see what happens - won't be a waste as it will go on one bike either way
i think campag are really missing a trick not doing larger cassettes
( i know about potenza - still only 31 though)
just dont see how shimano can do it without hassle and campag can't

Last edited:
Top Bottom