Mixing it up a bit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Due to the ice and snow I've been running a lot instead of cycling. Its icey on the roads in the morning, or dare I say it - anything under -3 is just too cold for me.. so I've bused in and run home, costs a bit more but I think my fitness is reasonable (for a chubby bloke)

Things I've noticed:
- there is still a lot of ice on pavements.
- I havent seen many pavement cyclists - perhaps for this reason (saw just one in fact)
- some drivers are d***heads, will see you running along and still pull up and park on the pavement in front of you, so its not just cyclists they act like t*ssers around. ;)
- having to weave around parked cars, or even run in the road because of them, is a pain in the a***.

Anyway... The other week I ran home from work (I say ran, more a sluggish jog where I had to keep walking) the 6 miles. I did it in an hour. This week I've been ill, so managed 1hr 30, and it nearly killed me last night. So tired that I couldnt sleep comfortably at all. :wacko: I can usually walk it in 1hr30 so I must have been more ill than I realised. :wacko:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I was out in the car last night, going down oaks road in Croydon. it's still really ba down there, the pavements are covered in ice and the road still has some. I could see a runner in the road up ahead. So I slow down and put my hazards on to warnthe drivers behind me as the runner was wearing all black and only had some small reflectors on there shoes. I turned my hazards off and indicated right and moved fully on to the other side of the road to give the runner as much space as possible.
The car behind me barely moved across the divider in the middle of the road and nearly clipped the runner. People just don't understand the needs of others.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Mixing up the training is great....
Training whilst ill....BAD!

I know, and I'm feeling it today as a result. Thank christ I'm on leave now until Monday.

stewie-guy-puke.gif
Hahaha!! If only I had just burnt off a cold instead.

adscrim

Veteran
Ill from the neck up - train

Do you mean while mentally ill? :tongue:

Why would you bother. Putting your body under strain while it's trying to fight a virus/infection sound counter productive to me. If you're ill then you should rest. Chances are you'll recover more quickly. I suspect the above and below the neck line is misquoted from somewhere. It's probably part of a much longer article about training while ill and if you're suffering from a head cold, you probably could train but take it easy altough propaply best to rest IMO.

Asprilla

Do you mean while mentally ill? :tongue:

Why would you bother. Putting your body under strain while it's trying to fight a virus/infection sound counter productive to me. If you're ill then you should rest. Chances are you'll recover more quickly. I suspect the above and below the neck line is misquoted from somewhere. It's probably part of a much longer article about training while ill and if you're suffering from a head cold, you probably could train but take it easy altough propaply best to rest IMO.

Well, given the weather recently that accusation has been thown at me when commuting it.

There is no article, it just comes from experiance and advice from professional coaches / PTs.

If I've got a head cold or a 'bit of a headache' then training is going to have very little impact upon it, and it shouldn't affect my running, cycling or swimming. In fact I often find that exercise helps and getting out and about rather than staying indoors with all the germs is beneficial.

Obviously this is just my rule of thumb and isn't set in stone, horses for courses and all that.

Alexios

Ranulf Fiennes, no slouch when it comes to fitness, advises halving your exercise regime the moment you think you might have a bug and stopping entirely when you're sure. Now he's talking about reducing from 3-4 hours per day, but I think there is still something in it.

Top Bottom