mixing Running and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fay144

The absolutely best thing you can do if you want to start running is to start walking lots. It will strengthen your legs, and will make the transition to running a lot easier on you. Also, remember not to try and run too fast at first - go as slow as poss while you are building up the distance, and the speed will come naturally later.

I currently have the following routine for my 5-7 mile commute:
mon: cycle in, run home
tue: run in, cycle home
wed: run in, (get a lift home)
thu: cycle in, (walk part home, get a lift for part)
fri: run in, cycle home
The only real challenge has been my shoes - I started cycling in my running shoes, and completely ruined them when I de-toured home via MTB trails and ended up getting stuck ankle deep in mud. It's best having seperate shoes, though a bit of a pain having to carry running shoes in on the bike.

I tend to forget which I'm doing sometimes... I find myself in primary while running on country roads, and stopping to offer help to cyclists with punctures while running (without cycle spares, funnily enough). I'm an idiot though.

Good luck!

RedBike

I wish I could help. Running leaves my legs aching the next day so I can't cycle. Running and cycling takes me days to recover from. I just can't seem to combine the two!

Start off on one of those run/walk programs. Don't try and run too far to begin with.

Top Bottom