mixing Running and Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Any advice on this? I have a 3 mile commute to work and have been thinking of running to work instead of cycling on 2 or 3 days per week.

I havent done any running for over 20 years before that I did regular half marathons 10k races etc . Im thinking of seeing how it goes and doing a half marathon in the spring.

ChrisKH

Guru
Get checked out by your doctor before commencing. Other than that, good luck.

Banjo

You sound a liitle like myself, I was a regular runner about 20 years ago too. I have started again recently and although im a long way off a half marathon im comfortable doing around 5/6 miles.

I find its also helping the riding, I have lost around half a stone and my hill climbing has improved too.

As I said in another thread its just a case of finding the time. My target is to do a triathlon next year.

Losidan

That's great Jay. I had a go at running the other week (Former Triathlete many moons ago) and was shocked at how hard I found it. Definitely giving that a go

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the replies.

My biggest fear is causing an injury that will stop me cycling while it repairs.

Dont consider myself a couch potato but will use that program in Jay Clocks link then see how it goes from there.

I started running a few months ago then recently took up cycling to do on my rest days. It works a treat and gets rid of any leg aches etc.
Run my 1st 5 miles last night :biggrin:
I really enjoy cycling though and its a bit frustrating to hold back so I dont wear my self out for the running. But they are both going really well :biggrin:

Losidan

Uncle Mort said:
If you injure yourself running, you're generally more likely to be able to cycle before you can run again. Running is a lot harder on the body.

Also...you can greatly reduce the chance of injury by having a decent set of running shoes and running on soft ground...If you know any large playing fields it is a good place to start even if a bit boring!

pjm

I sometimes commute by running as well and find that running twice a day is pretty tiring, to start with you could try: ride in Monday morning, run home Monday night, run in Tuesday morning, ride home Tuesday night etc

ASC1951

Guru
You might need to build in some calf and hamstring stretches. Cycling is notorious for shortening both and running will soon expose any problem.

mr Mag00

rising member
great advice from asc1951. i stretch twice a day and run around 3 times and and cycle 3 times a week and it is really noticable the first few runs how short the ligaments and muscles are. just take it steady and build up slowly.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

ASC1951 said:
You might need to build in some calf and hamstring stretches. Cycling is notorious for shortening both and running will soon expose any problem.

Thanks for the tip ,this is the kind of thing I was wondering about.

PS
Did plenty of stretching then went out for a very gentle 1.2mile jog .It was enough to tell me that you use different muscles running to cycling :-)

ASC1951

Guru
Banjo, a few more thoughts for you.

The four stretches I do are:-
- back leg calf stretch, leaning against a wall with back leg straight and heel on the floor
- front leg calf stretch, with front leg bent and other leg off the floor
- hamstring stretch, on your back with leg raised, hands clasped behind knee, then leg staightened and ankle slowly flexed
- quad stretch, stand on one leg and bring heel of other leg up behind buttock, clasping ankle with free hand, hips forward and knee pointed at the floor.

There are two stages to the stretch. You need to hold the extension for 20-30 seconds, then relax for a few seconds, then take up the extension again and gently extend it - the "development stretch".

There are right ways and wrong ways to do these stretches, so have a look at a trusted website or speak to your physio. I still use this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stretching-Bob-Anderson/dp/0936070226

One other point. The advice used to be to stretch before exercise, but that only works if your muscles are fully warmed up first. Those of us who are not professional dancers or proper track athletes are much better doing the stretches at the end of a run - I have had no muscle twinges since I moved to that.

Earlier in the year I was using my commute to build up running miles. I'd cycle in with 2 days clothes, leave my towel there and run home with just a bum bag for stuff I didn't want to leave overnight (phone, wallet etc). I'd imagine that with 2 - 3 miles you wouldn't need to include emergency bus fare but I sometimes did include it. The next morning I'd run back in and my workwear would be waiting for me.

By following a shoogly route I could get in 12 miles on the way home and do 6 the following morning. I really enjoyed it too. If you can find parks / trailsor towpaths on your route, you can run on softer surfaces than tarmac, and that will help safe your feet and joints. Just build up slow and steady.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Thanks for the tips guys ,will have a study of the stretching link later on.

Despite stretching and warming up by fast walking for 5 minutes half way round a very gentle 1 mile jog I felt pain in one achilles tendon area so walked home gently. Dont think theres any damage done but still slight soreness so will stick to cycling and walking for a few weeks now at least.

I thought now Im a lot lighter this wouldnt happen. last time I tried to run a few years ago I pulled a hamstring which caused huge pain.Really annoying because I feel fit and raring to go and I do warm up and go gently.

Top Bottom