Moaning About Petrol Prices Again

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BSRU

A Human Being
On the BBC this morning they were moaning about petrol prices again, this time about the tax rise in the new year.

I can appreciate it's not good for business's that rely on transport and that things we buy may have to go up.
Unfortunately the BBC asked some people who optimised our reliance on the car, they were complaining that petrol was so expensive that they have to walk to the school/childcare centre now.
Surely if they can walk to where they want to go now they could have before when petrol was cheaper.

potsy

Rambler
Crying shame ain't it? :cry:

U

User482

The fundamental point is that fuel isn't expensive. I did a 400-mile round trip this weekend, which cost me a little over £40 in diesel. So that's £14 for each of the three of us to travel 400 miles. Obviously, if I had an uneconomical car it would cost more...maybe that's where the moaners are going wrong.

If it's the same report I saw then I don't have a lot of sympathy, except for the bloke running his own business. One childminder, who, shock, horror, was now thinking of getting a more economical car, a woman complaining how much it cost to run to the nursery and how her husband had to pay his petrol out of his own pocket before geting it re-imbursed, huh, I thought and a couple of other lame stories.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I must play devil's advocate here - it's one thing to keep pushing petrol prices up and up and up - but it's another thing to do it and have the oil corporations, in cahoots with governments, stamp all over alternative transport solutions ... we could have had a thriving electric car industry years ago.

snorri

Legendary Member
A woman in Orkney was telling us (on the radio) that two members of her family can no longer afford to drive their own cars to work every day and that they now have to car-share.

We're all doomed I tell you.:sad: :sad: :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
So long as my cycling parts don't go up. Here is hoping for Italy's finances to collapse and Super Record to be reduced to £50 :whistle:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I've got a friend (in the loosest sense, as I frequently dislike him) who drives a ridiculous car. A Subaru of some sort.
He's spent a lot of money getting it to 300bhp!!

He also frequently moans about petrol prices.

Every time he does, I suggest getting a more economical car, or at least driving more economically rather than thrashing it like he's at Brands Hatch.

People whinge about the price of petrol, but do nothing to actually use less of it.

Glover Fan

What is it about an ever diminishing resource and rising prices the motons don't get? It's not that hard to grasp surely?!
I don't think that is the issue rational thinkers have. It is the fact that the government taxes it twice at the pump.

Couple this to the fact that the VAT rate on other fuels like gas and electricity are pegged at 5%, yet petrol and diesel are on the 20% rate and whether people like it or not, they are fuels. I would hope most people would understand that a large group of people are being unfairly taxed.

I don't think that is the issue rational thinkers have. It is the fact that the government taxes it twice at the pump.

Couple this to the fact that the VAT rate on other fuels like gas and electricity are pegged at 5%, yet petrol and diesel are on the 20% rate and whether people like it or not, they are fuels. I would hope most people would understand that a large group of people are being unfairly taxed.

If fuel duty and / or tax is reduced how do you suggest we make up the shortfall in revenue?

sunnyjim

Heavily isn't necessariy unfairly. I'd rather pay more tax for the public good on electricity than subsidise privately owned solar panels. That is unfair.
Petrol isn't expensive if you use it carefully. My stupidly (if used inapppropriately) heavy powerful car gets 17 mpg on a good day, but I'm not complaining, as I don't normally use a car when I can walk/cycle/bus.

Top Bottom