Mobile costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dicko

Guru
I switched to Tesco mobile in February after years and years of EE, who since partnered by BT sticks the price up yearly and doesn’t recognise customer loyalty. I now pay £10 a month for unlimited talk/text and 10 GB per month and no price rise for 24 months. I am very happy 😊

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Price increases ? My work phone has been completely free for own use for 15 years. Which is about my price; and great.

What isn't so great is i'm still working in order to use it for paid duties - and not retired :whistle:

Tenkaykev

Guru
There's a local " dead spot " ( ironically it's near the crematorium ) for most networks. I did a search using the Ofcom coverage maps by network and found that Vodafone had the best local coverage. Switched to Lebara which is owned by Vodafone and I'm paying £6.99 a month on a rolling 30 day contract which gives me unlimited calls and texts, 10GB of data and 100 minutes of overseas calls. Switched about a year ago and no issues at all 👍

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Price increases ? My work phone has been completely free for own use for 15 years. Which is about my price; and great.

What isn't so great is i'm still working in order to use it for paid duties - and not retired :whistle:

Yep. I haven’t had a phone contract since 2001.
I’ve had a work phone and it must have saved me thousands over the last 22 years.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Yep. I haven’t had a phone contract since 2001.
I’ve had a work phone and it must have saved me thousands over the last 22 years.

You need a perk or two to make it all worthwhile right…..

midlife

Guru
Wasn't trying to be a smart ass. Just my youngest son wanted a "£200 iphone" so we searched for 8's recently.....and i knew they were available for less than £200. As i say; we ended up getting a new 11 for not too much more.

Cheers.

I was looking for an iPhone 12, just curious where you got the 11 from?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Useful things I have learned:-
  1. If you want a monthly contract with a new handset then, when your current contract is up, call your provider and ask for your PAC number to move to a new provider. When they ask why you want to cancel, point out the very best deal you have managed to find. Miraculously they will find something very similar to keep you as a customer.
  2. It's cheaper to pay a monthly contract for your mobile service but buy the handset outright. Quite often you can spread the cost of the handset through Klarna or similar which still works out cheaper than buying as part of your mobile contract.

I just found this out, too.

Prompted by this thread I did my research and found a sim only deal I like with Smarty.

Asked Vodafone for a PAC. They offered to match the deal with Smarty except for the roaming ( which is important to me). They were absolutely unable to offer that.

12 hours later I get a text from Vodafone saying I can have roaming.

Stuff them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I just found this out, too.

Prompted by this thread I did my research and found a sim only deal I like with Smarty.

Asked Vodafone for a PAC. They offered to match the deal with Smarty except for the roaming ( which is important to me). They were absolutely unable to offer that.

12 hours later I get a text from Vodafone saying I can have roaming.

Stuff them.

I’m with Smarty, very happy with them so far.

Top Bottom