Mobile costs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
This is another moan and it’s a reason why my own mobile phone contract is a 30 day rolling one . Just had the email from O2 for my youngest , took a deal out with Virgin for TV/BB etc . Also included a mobile unlimited sim .

Anyway mobile is going up 13.4% rpi + 3.9% !! My own sim hasn’t gone up whatsoever since I took it out !! Ripping it !!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yep, just had the same notification from Virgin for my mobile.

Alex321

Veteran
This is another moan and it’s a reason why my own mobile phone contract is a 30 day rolling one . Just had the email from O2 for my youngest , took a deal out with Virgin for TV/BB etc . Also included a mobile unlimited sim .

Anyway mobile is going up 13.4% rpi + 3.9% !! My own sim hasn’t gone up whatsoever since I took it out !! Ripping it !!

They do say when you take out the contact that prices will increase by RPI +3.9%, from each April, based on the official RPI figures from February.

Unfortunately, this year, RPI figure is rather high. :eek:

OP
OP
MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
They do say when you take out the contact that prices will increase by RPI +3.9%, from each April, based on the official RPI figures from February.

Yep I know ! However my sim only deal with Voxi hasn’t went up our decreased in value if service ! Gonna verge into NACA territory here but seems inflation rises can be added onto goods/services but when it come to money in people pockets ….. :whistle:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..

That in itself is a pish-take though; since it's an above-inflation rise.

FWIW I recently bought the old dear a SIM-only deal with Giffgaff - 2Gb (which she won't use as she's on a dumb phone) for (IIRC) £5 per month - just checked their website and the same deal's now listed at £6.

Giffgaff operate on O2's network (who I'm with) and I think I'm paying them maybe £12-13 for effectively the same deal. I've liked dealing with 02 and tbh they've been the only mobile network I've dealt with who haven't rightfully earned my utter hatred for their abysmal service.. however I can't really reconcile this price difference so will no doubt have to give them a call at some point and potentially bail to Giffgaff.

Of greater concern is the cost of my broadband deal; which is going up by a similar amount and for some reason appears to have gone up from the £35-40 I recall agreeing to a year or so ago, to pushing £60. Some of this is inflation-led price hikes; but I get the feeling I'm also being charged for stuff I was under the impression was included. Either way I think I'm screwed as I don't recall receiving any documentation when I switched to the new tariff.. :sad:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Im with sky which is piggy backed onto O2
4 contracts in total for the whole family £7 a month for unlimited calls etc but only 2 gig of data each, where i make my saving is 2 of the phones dont use data so the rest goes into a piggy bank i can dole out to mini ck1 who uses a lot .

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
4 contracts in total for the whole family £7 a month for unlimited calls etc but only 2 gig of data each, where i make my saving is 2 of the phones dont use data so the rest goes into a piggy bank i can dole out to mini ck1 who uses a lot .

Wow - that is a score! Not a fan of Sky however, but I'll give it a look. Like many others it looks like I'm going to have to par my outgoings down to the bone..

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Wow - that is a score! Not a fan of Sky however, but I'll give it a look. Like many others it looks like I'm going to have to par my outgoings down to the bone..

i think i should say its £7 a month each for 3 and £6 for mine , i could probably get it cheaper but i like the ability to change it every month if we need more and last time i looked we had around 50 gig saved .

D

Deleted member 1258

I'm on a monthly rolling contract with Lebara, 3 gig data, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts, its costing £5 a month, I haven't heard anything about it going up yet, Plusnet have put my internet up recently, but not by a lot, I'm paying £26 a month.

potsy

Rambler

I'm the same, currently on a live chat with them and have been offered a slightly reduced data plan (5GB) down from my current 8GB.
Current price is £9.07 after last year's increase, new plan is £6 and won't go up until 2024...
Happy with that as I rarely use more than 3 or 4 GB anyway.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy

It’s £7 a month across all four contracts or 4 x £7 a month?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They're just shafting you while you are locked in. Look at the price of an out-of-contract deal with the same allowances. It'll probably be cheaper, proving there is no justification except "because we can".

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Smarty is

Unlimited calls
Unlimited texts
Free roaming in Europe, with data up to 12Gb (per month)

This month I’m on the 4Gb plan which is £5.40 a month. You can change the plan you are on each month via the app. There’s a 8Gb plan for £6.30 which is tempting but I don’t use that much data. Both my wife and I are using the group plan option with me being the group plan owner who sets what plan each phone is on.

Top Bottom