Mobile cycle mechanic.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
Is there much call for such a thing?

I am currently without work, but have an income from a pension from a previous job. The mortgage is paid, so I'm not looking to earn a big income. Pocket money will do.

I like the idea of being self employed, and it would be an extension to the hobby of cycling. I have been pulling bikes (and cars/motorbikes) apart and putting them together again since I was about 14 so it is also a labour of love.

I realise that before people will entrust me to repair their bikes, I will need to gain some sort of recognisable qualification. Have been looking at doing a Cytech course but they don't come cheap (start about £1500 for a level 2 course). The other major expense would be a van, but I have a car which I could sell/trade-in against it.

Any opinions as to whether this might be a worthwhile venture would be welcome, or alternatively feel free to shoot it down while it is still just an idea!

PS.. I live in Ayrshire where the number of cyclists is errrr, "limited", thanks in part to our climate. So it wouldn't have a potential client base comparable to somewhere like London, obviously.

How about researching companies (large or small) within your area where the number of cycling commuters is reasonable, approach them and ask if you can offer a lunch-time service to the staff who cycle - punctures picked up on the way in, quick service etc. On the back of that you could offer these customers a morning / evening rescue service for a flat fee + mileage, build it from there

The qualification cited as the standard for the industry is Cytech

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If they are not tied up with a bike shop already, you could offer your services to local sportive/charity ride organisers. Being insured and qualified would probably be a pre-requisite.

Moby Jones

Sounds like a good idea. It's certainly something which I may use. Would you offer a cleaning/servicing option? I don't know how much money you could make at it here on the west coast, but if you are willing to spend some time building up the business I think it could be a goer. Best of luck and keep us posted.

You should approach the local councils to get some advertising/notices on their intranets, I know Inverclyde council has its own intranet which local businesses put notices on. I know lots of people who work for the council have bikes and a mobile servicing/maintenance service could get a lot of interest.

lpretro1

I have been running my own mobile service for seven years and I make a good living out of it. See the following www.cyclefix.net to see how many of us there are - all the ones on this list are qualified and insured. If you do do it as a business you will need to have public and product liability insurance and declare yourself to HMRC. Geting a qualification is a good idea (thoug not compulsory) - helps with customer confidence I think. There is no "industry standard" - those who tout the Cytech qualification are wrong by implying their qualification is that. Try the City & Guilds instead - better qualfication much more practically based - you can do it at the The Bike Inn in Lincolnshire.

I would think your 'bread and butter' jobs would be kids bikes where the father can't be bothered or doesn't know how to fix minor probs. it will take a while before someone gives you a four figure bike to fix. I'm sure most on here can do all minor repairs or know someone to come and get them.

Get some kids bikes in a few sizes, service them and sell them on to parents who may want a puncture fixed but may also be interested if you notice the bike is too small for the kid.

The parents will be more likely to talk about you at nurseries, school, work and the like. These are the people who will see the value in saving some money and not being bothered with something troublesome like fixing their kid's bike.

Just an idea.

david1701

hit up local biggish firms (espesh civil service types) and see if you can run a serv ice where you have a look at bikes during the day, I'm sure this would go down v well on one of the sites where I work

Mike!

Guru
We have one in Ipswich who i use, find it very useful having someone to come to you. I normally get my services etc done while at work so am never without the bike or having the bother of dropping it off anywhere.

It also means i don't feel tied to the LBS i brought the bike from and can quite happily buy off the net / second hand and still get a great service.

website is here

Herbie

Veteran
Is there much call for such a thing?

I am currently without work, but have an income from a pension from a previous job. The mortgage is paid, so I'm not looking to earn a big income. Pocket money will do.

I like the idea of being self employed, and it would be an extension to the hobby of cycling. I have been pulling bikes (and cars/motorbikes) apart and putting them together again since I was about 14 so it is also a labour of love.

I realise that before people will entrust me to repair their bikes, I will need to gain some sort of recognisable qualification. Have been looking at doing a Cytech course but they don't come cheap (start about £1500 for a level 2 course). The other major expense would be a van, but I have a car which I could sell/trade-in against it.

Any opinions as to whether this might be a worthwhile venture would be welcome, or alternatively feel free to shoot it down while it is still just an idea!

PS.. I live in Ayrshire where the number of cyclists is errrr, "limited", thanks in part to our climate. So it wouldn't have a potential client base comparable to somewhere like London, obviously.

great idea...i've often thought an AA type service for bicycles would be a good venture..i wish you well :thumbsup:

There is a guy who does this around Cambridge, when I first picked up his card I thought it was a sort of cycle AA, but he also buys cheap bikes at the police auctions does them up, sells them to the student population with a warranty etc as well as call outs. So with all of that I guess it keeps him busy. Good idea. Have you got a student population/city near by?

david1701

Another aspect is tuition, I paid for my local mobile mechanic to supervise and assist work in training mode. He also advised on tools I'd need etc.

I like that, I'd pay for someones afternoon to teach me one on one how to build wheels. Someone I could run over the parts/tools required with, who would then talk me through how would be epic. As a freelancer I know ball park how much labour is so would expect that to be a good £100+ (probs £150, asumming a few hours her -4?) but I'm not 100% everyone would be on board with paying that much relative to time

Top Bottom