Mobile phone - give it up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
As the rest of the world gets more and more addicted to the things, I am seriously considering going for freedom and breaking free from the scourge that is the mobile phone. My work might not be happy but as they don't pay for it - too bad.

I am finding myself getting more than a little bit annoyed at the assumption of everyone that we should be available to take calls 24/7, 365 days of the year - including whilst on holiday. Yes I could switch it off when I feel like it, but then they just leave a voice message or text to get me to call back.

As for whatsapp and other messaging services, I am getting tired of the endless "interesting" pics and videos that people send, and usually expect some sort of acknowledgement even if just a quick smiley face. That includes cycling buddies sending "relive" clips of bike rides. Yes, good for you, :tired: !!

I can see a few disadvantages but think they would be outweighed by the one big advantage. I would miss some of the apps that I use, but with a little forward planning that could be overcome.

Has anybody actually done this? Or maybe never got suckered into having one in the first place?

AndyRM

XOXO
Stock up on copies of Auto Trader in advance.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't dump the phone - just take control of it! :okay:

I pay £5 to Giffgaff for 150 minutes talk time, 500 texts, and 100 MB data per month (rising next month to 500 MB) and free calls/texts to the 3 people that I communicate with most who are also on GG. At the end of each month I typically have about 120 minutes talk time, 450 texts and 50 MB left.

The 30 minutes of talking, 50 texts sent and 50 MB data used are very useful though so I will be keeping my smartphone. I use it as an ultraportable computer at home on wifi as much as I use it as a phone.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I can't believe anyone on CC would wish to ditch modern living, it's such a forward looking community.

I blame Brexit. And feminazis.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My work might not be happy but as they don't pay for it - too bad.

Seems to me this is the crux. The fact that they don't pay for it is by the by. How 'unhappy' would they be, and how much would that matter to you? If you can afford to face them down and say 'ok, you don't like it, but that's how it's going to be, take it or leave it', then fine. But if they're likely to take it ill and perhaps even effectively make it a condition of your continued employment, then what? Only you know the answer to that. But like it or not, not having a mobile puts you out on a limb in today's world - you have to ask yourself if that's really where you want to be. Perhaps, as others have suggested, you could achieve a good (good enough) proportion of the 'no-mobile' benefits you seek simply by using it differently. Personally I hardly look at FB/whatsapp/instragram/twitter etc, so I don't get to see 'interesting' pics & posts from 'friends'. But I do need to be contactable, like it or not. It's part of my work, which, on balance, I enjoy.

Lonestar

Veteran
Mine automatically goes into flight mode when the screen is off so that saves battery.So generally I forget about it.I don't spend all day looking at it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unfortunately as an exporter mine has to be on during working hours at least and luckily as I cover Africa none of my customers is more than three hours adrift from me. Over the years I have trained the bothersome customers that unless I'm in front of my computer I can't help them so they generally restrict the calls and emails to UK office hours, when they know they will get an immediate, efficient answer.

Otherwise I use it as a camera and for Watsapp. I don't use social media and the phone is switched off at night.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I used to use a smartphone too much but I've tried a few things to cut down so I use it when I want and not as a default filler for almost every spare moment.

I'm on call for work but that's restricted to some known numbers and even those know they will get no answer if I'm busy (literally no answer - voicemail is switched off, which not all providers allow) and should text with details (not only a "call me" else they'll get a text back asking what it's about so I can read the right notes file first). The phone is set up with four key apps:
1. Klaxon so I can put text messages on silent but still be notified if one of the on-call numbers texts me.
2. Voice Notify so that it reads text messages out so I can decide whether to unlock the phone and respond (stopping the bike if needed) - or I can shake the phone to stop the read-out.
3. Sanity so that it reads out caller names when the ringer is on, again so I can decide whether to stop the bike or let it ring out until they text.
4. Timerrific to change the settings/profile at predefined times, so only on-call should disturb my sleep. Easer might be another app that could do that even more flexibly by using locations but I've not found that to work quite as well yet.

Top Bottom