Mobile phone - give it up?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
A few friends and I were talking about this during the week. One of the guys is on a minimalist campaign at present, down sized car, reduced wardrobe, deleted all social media and now is talking about ditching the phone. (I'm secretly waiting on him downsizing his guitar collection!..). Whilst I was never as materialistic, I think there is a lot to be said for going for a simpler life. We all reckon we were happier when we'd no technology, less stuff and less distractions. I have no sky tv, no home broadband, no landline and folk at work mock me for it but I don't feel I'm missing anything. I have considered ditching the phone, but like the OP, I am concerned about missing those few apps I use everyday like weather, whatsapp, gmail and ... Strava!

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Just change your number and only give the new one out to people you trust/need to phone. You get all the functionality of the phone and no more annoying messages. Also if you never give the new number out, it is unlikely that you will receive marketing calls.

Lonestar

Veteran
A few friends and I were talking about this during the week. One of the guys is on a minimalist campaign at present, down sized car, reduced wardrobe, deleted all social media and now is talking about ditching the phone. (I'm secretly waiting on him downsizing his guitar collection!..). Whilst I was never as materialistic, I think there is a lot to be said for going for a simpler life. We all reckon we were happier when we'd no technology, less stuff and less distractions. I have no sky tv, no home broadband, no landline and folk at work mock me for it but I don't feel I'm missing anything. I have considered ditching the phone, but like the OP, I am concerned about missing those few apps I use everyday like weather, whatsapp, gmail and ... Strava!

You were doing so well till you said Strava.:cry:

Julia9054

Guru
I've got a dumbphone, so dont feel compelled to check it ever 12 seconds. I also don't do social media etc. The phone only gets switched on at all when I want to make a call, or if I'm on call for SAR. No need to give up an addiction i havent formed. Good luck.
You post on here alot. If you are not using a smart phone, does that mean you spend alot of time sitting at your computer?

potsy

Rambler
Just change your number and only give the new one out to people you trust/need to phone. You get all the functionality of the phone and no more annoying messages. Also if you never give the new number out, it is unlikely that you will receive marketing calls.
This is what I did last year, best thing I ever did!

Just a handful of people now have the ability to mither me and I receive no junk calls/texts at all ^_^

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Personally I enjoy the various bits of tech I own and use. In the world we now inhabit I find it difficult to imagine not having a good smartphone and being able to access all that it offers.

To my mind a quality smartphone allows me to reduce the stuff I carry to one item.

One question I’d like to ask all those who say they rarely use social media, but appear to be heavy CC users,what do they consider CC to be??

How do those who don’t have a phone but post regularly do so? Sitting at PC/laptop seems very restrictive to me.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Also if you never give the new number out, it is unlikely that you will receive marketing calls.
There's someone who thinks wardiallers don't exist.

I bet myself a fiver you'd be on this thread within the hour. Scraped in by two minutes.
I stopped betting with myself since I bet more than I could afford, refused to pay myself and then started phoning myself threatening to break my legs.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Top Bottom