Mobile phone signal abroad advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
A week ago I got a new phone on EE, and one of the questions I asked was will it work in Germany when I go there next week?

The reply was, 'yes it will work just the same as here and all your allowances will be available.'

Now here I am in a German hotel room looking at a phone with no network signal, letting it auto select a network makes no difference to if I try to manually select one, does anyone have any ideas?

Brexit comments not required thank you. :smile:

AndyRM

XOXO
If Brexit comments aren't allowed then I blame Thatcher.

More constructive advice may be available from an EE shop in Germany perhaps?

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe you're in a low/no signal area. Turn the autoselection on and off, then reboot if no joy

Reactions: mjr

midlife

Guru
That's odd, I'm on EE and whenever I've been to France and Portugal the phone automatically transfers to the local EE partner service.

classic33

Leg End Member
Phone 07973 100150, after 07:00 your time. That fails try an Orange shop, they may be willing to help.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Thirded, you need to turn roaming on .

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Cheers everyone, roaming is definitely on.

According to the EE website you're supposed to text 'roaming' to 150 before going abroad first to check that it's working, something the nice young man in the shop neglected to mention last week.

I'll contact live chat later on whilst pretending to be working.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Whereabouts in Germany are you? Up here in the North we have terrible phone coverage and trying to find 4G reception so that I can read the paper on the train in to work in the mornings, is a joke.

On a more serious note, there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to just use your phone here, as you say, it's probably an issue with your UK carrier.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Ah, just down the road from me then. I'm not sure about Hildesheim, but you should definitely got a decent signal in the airport. Are you going to be in Hannover at all this week? If so, you need to pop into the Markthalle for lunch, dirt cheap and a massive range of food to choose from. Hope you get it sorted with minimal hassle.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I'm near Hildesheim, didn't get a signal at Hannover Airport either though.
You may have to go into your account and switch the international call roaming on from there. I had the same problem last year with Virgin. It wasn't switched on automatically.

Top Bottom