Mobile phone signal abroad advice please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cheers everyone, roaming is definitely on.

According to the EE website you're supposed to text 'roaming' to 150 before going abroad first to check that it's working, something the nice young man in the shop neglected to mention last week.

I'll contact live chat later on whilst pretending to be working.
When did you stop roaming? It's supposed to be a one-off process.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
This may or not be helpful, but in addition to signal coverage, whenever I come out of flight mode in another country it takes between 30 seconds and half an hour to flip into roaming mode properly. It says no network coverage at this time and then suddenly flips, you have to select etc and then after that i get a message saying welcome to roaming (sometimes half an hour later lol). Sometimes it is very quick but sometimes it's been very sluggish leaving me without signal for 5, 10, 15 mins and even half an hour on one occasion.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
This year when in the channel islands, not part of the EU, my 'phone again would not work. In desperation my mate took my sym card out and put it his 'phone. It livened up his device ok. I put it back it mine and it worked fine from then on.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's a brand new phone if you read the OP:rolleyes: so needs setting up with roaming capabilities from EE, after that it will behave exactly like you say.
I'd only to do it once, for the number being used, not the handset.

I assumed he'd kept the same number.

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Problem, whilst not solved, has been identified.

When I took out the contract I declined the direct debit option and said I would just add credit to my account each month, now according to EE customer service you need to pay by DD to get EU roaming.

As pointed out by me the guy in the shop said to me, 'yes it will work in Germany,' not, 'it will only work in Germany if you pay by DD.'

According to the helpline there's nothing that they can do to add the roaming to my contract without me changing payment method, I feel a trip to the shop coming on this Saturday.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I had same problem a few years ago.First in Greece then in Paris. It turned out O2 had not allowed me network outside UK despite me informing then well in advance of trips. I had the mardy's for several days both hols.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I was also paying by DD.

classic33

Leg End Member
Problem, whilst not solved, has been identified.

When I took out the contract I declined the direct debit option and said I would just add credit to my account each month, now according to EE customer service you need to pay by DD to get EU roaming.

As pointed out by me the guy in the shop said to me, 'yes it will work in Germany,' not, 'it will only work in Germany if you pay by DD.'

According to the helpline there's nothing that they can do to add the roaming to my contract without me changing payment method, I feel a trip to the shop coming on this Saturday.
I don't pay by DD and still have EU roaming.

classic33

Leg End Member
Think there's been a mistake made along the way and no-one wants to own up, or they don't know what happened.

Top Bottom