Mobile phone using drivers will be targetted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Hope it makes a difference, ive noticed it a lot recently.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Saw a chap on the phone yesterday, while being towed, on a rather short tow rope.

I just hope the tower didn't need to brake quickly...;)

(I assume that that is still an offence, BTW, since the towee is still in control of steering and brakes. But no engine running.)

Bad Company

The Next Stig !
I often see the same lorry driver using his phone on my route to work. I also saw a coach driver using his mobile albeit without any passengers.

Alan Whicker

This is good news.

I always report HGV and van drivers to the Met's Roadsafe scheme. If the vehicles have a phone number on the side I ring it and ask what their policy is about their staff using mobiles when driving.

If I tried to report every car driver I saw to Roadsafe, i'd never do anything else ;).

Arch

Married to Night Train
tdr1nka said:
What the heck has not having passengers got to do with it?

Get the reg and report them.

Well, I suppose he meant it's 40 or whatever less people endangered.

Unless those 40 are waiting at a bus stop for him, and he ploughs into them....

But of course, he's still endangering himself and all the road users around him...

interestingly enough CB radio and Taxi radios are legal to use while driving..So it would seem there are some inconsistencies in the law.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
The next best step would be to take helmet cam footage of them from cyclists & allow that as evidence (providing the footage was clear and showed the reg).

It's just getting worse and worse & no-one even tries to hide it any more. They know that the chances of being caught are almost nil, so what's the worry?

I'd get harder on the drivers and give them an automatic 1 year ban & make them re-sit their test at the end of it. :smile:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
goo_mason said:
The next best step would be to take helmet cam footage of them from cyclists & allow that as evidence (providing the footage was clear and showed the reg).

It's just getting worse and worse & no-one even tries to hide it any more. They know that the chances of being caught are almost nil, so what's the worry?

I'd get harder on the drivers and give them an automatic 1 year ban & make them re-sit their test at the end of it. :smile:
+1 million!!!!

I almost had my chips cashed in on Tuesday night due to a stupid bitch on the phone (apologies for the language, no other way to describe this brainless individual). Signalling right to turn into the car park of the Sports Centre where I play 5-a-side on a Tuesday, a car is about 75m behind me... no worries. Move across to Super Primary (about 2 - 3ft from central line) still signalling and moving forwards as there's about 25m 'til I need to turn... suddenly I'm aware that the car behind is not slowing.

I look back several times and finally shout "What the Hell are you doing???" whilst holding the palm facing them signal to stop... cue her jamming the anchors on, moving to overtake until she sees the traffic so swerving left to undertake at the last second. By this time I've almost given up any hope of there not being a crash and am on the central white dotted line to give me as much chance as I can of being avoided... as she drives past I see she's got the phone glued to her ear. :blush::biggrin:!

It's a good job she didn't have to stop at the ped lights down the road as I think I may have dragged her out and trashed her car and phone for her!!!

Unfortunately I hadn't rigged the camera up as I had just popped over to my Wife's work to pick up my footie kit and was preserving the battery for the commute home after the game. B)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I saw a workman driving a "Telescopic handler" (well I think that's what its called) and texting on his phone ... looking down rather than across at the side street where I was waiting for him to pass!

Crankarm

Guru
I reckon cyclists with footage of motons driving and dialing should go to plod and say you can have this footage, it clearly shows this person driving and dialing, whilst driving this vehicle, reg etc. but it'll cost you £25 which you can get back from the driver when you fine them or impound the car. I reckon if one started filming at 10am and finished at 3.30pm with an hour for lunch one could begin a comfortable and long retirement that same evening on the proceeds :smile:.

Yesterday a young female driver, blond and in suit, who was dialing and driving in slow moving traffic gave me a one fingered salute as I crossed over a controlled crossing pointing at her because I had spotted she was on the phone whilst driving. They just don't care. Some will even become really aggressive when you spot them.

Crankarm said:
So you don't own one HB?

I own one and use it for work but does that actually mean I use the blasted thing (otherwise)?

The minutes in calls on the mobile im unsure of but it's probably about 5 minutes a month (average).I don't use it as a toy to ring someone up when I am bored and want to talk 5h1t..

The answer is yes...when im at home it's in the other room (as like now) and I rarely take it out with me.

I wont get a call and rarely text all day...only thing I do is surf with it...it's not the latest phone...it's a Sony k800i.

Basically lets say I carry it mainly to use in an emergency and if you knew the job I was doing you could probably appreciate why I carry it.

Top Bottom