Mobile phones and driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
First offence 6 points and 1 month ban and phone seized. Caught again and 18 month ban, car forfeited, phone forfeited and resit test.
That would cure it, this 6 points nonsense won't make a blind difference, also be handy to have some RPU's again to actually police the roads again.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I find it very sad that motorists can glibly behave like this, without stopping to think about how, by doing so, they are giving all drivers such a bad name. The reputation of motoring in general can do without this sort of bad example.
Absolutely agree. Im a driver myself and I can't tell you how often the discussion comes up only for all drivers to be tarrwd with the same brush. As drivers we really need to get our house in order before we can expect to be taken seriously

double0jedi

In an episode of Mythbusters, If I recall correctly, didn't they show that it was indeed distraction that was the problem and not the control. As User9609 says driving a car one handed can be done, in fact you have to take one hand off the wheel to change gear. You can also ride a bike one handed, but I wouldn't want to put the brakes on hard if I was going fast :0
I think if a car driver can become distracted by using a mobile when driving, its possible for a cyclist to become distracted as well. To be frank even pedestrians become distracted by the bloody things, Lost count of how many people have stepped out in front of me whilst ambling along looking at a mobile.
The main difference for me is that if a cyclist is distracted and an accident ensues, it is more likely they will hurt themselves but a distracted car driver has far more potential to hurt others.

With bluetooth and hands free units I can understand why people answer calls when driving ( and Cycling) but in a million years I will never understand how people think they can text or "post" whilst at the wheel ( or handle bars).

GlenBen

Über Member
and phone seized.

Thats the one thatll hurt people the most.

I think a straight 3 month ban if youre caught. I can almost sympathise with most other offences, they can be done by mistake, Ive looked at my speedo sometimes to notice im speeding and didnt realise it etc. Nobody has ever picked their phone up and sent a text by accident, its done in the knowledge they are breaking the law and putting people at risk, no excuse.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4727705, member: 9609"]you can very easily drive a vehicle with just one hand, for many years I drove lorries with old style crash boxes and underpowered narrow power band engines, on many roads you could be changing gear every 50 yards, the left hand would never leave the gear stick, so I see no problem with driving an auto with a phone held to ear.[/QUOTE]
The left hand on the gear stick and the right presumably on the steering? I did write controls, not steering.

As for distraction, cycles travel much slower and are much narrower anyway, so the area that a rider needs to process is far smaller. Most seem to cycle slower when using the phone, too. Maybe that's a solution? Motorists can use phones but only when travelling below 12mph. Edit: the normal law about being in full control would still apply, so no phones through complex junctions and other places where cyclists generally put their phones down or stop short and finish the call.

Last edited:
To me the cyclist / driver argument about which laws apply is simple

The way that a road works is that there are a set of rules. If everyone follows those rules than there is a safe environment and we know what is going to happen

You know that the other road user will stop at the roundabout, you know that the other road user signalling left will actually turn left

However as soon as one group decides these rules don't apply the certainty becomes guesswork and the whole environment becomes unpredictable and less safe

All road users should obey all rules

Surely when you car connects to bluetooth - there must be someway that that could disable the phone ? - or a speed sensor that does likewise

I use an app called Waze

If you are moving the first thing that it does is ask if you are a passenger or driver.

Unless you indicate Passenger you cannot continue

It is not foolproof as the driver can select this option, but it is a decision to override the safety feature

Using a motion sensor is simple and effective, and if you are moving, disable the calls

However it would also mean that your phone would not work if you were walking, on a bus or train

But then again.......

Top Bottom