Mobile phones and driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
When there is a copper they're sat in a whacking great 'be sensible until I've gone' machine.
Put police in unlikely unmarked cars and give them the fine revenue to recruit and equip more.
Round our way, one copper in black stands on the verge some distance away and radios to tell those in the whacking great machine who to pull. A copper standing on the verge is still obvious but apparently not to some lawbreakers, from how many they stop.

Bobbies on bicycles would catch loads of nonsense in most traffic jams IMO. The illegal blacked out windows would be good to tackle too.

At home there was a particular Constable who was well known for dealing with windows

If they were cheeky, or it was something minor, he often used to make them peel off the tint there and then before being allowed to drive the vehicle

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
All that's needed is someone to enforce the law. Road users do as they please because they know they won't get caught.
When there is a copper they're sat in a whacking great 'be sensible until I've gone' machine.
Put police in unlikely unmarked cars and give them the fine revenue to recruit and equip more.

High powered cars taken from criminals under the proceeds of crime act are already being used as motorway patrol cars. I cant see why all police cars shouldn't be sourced in the same way.

If people knew using a mobile could cost them their car as well as their license Im sure illegal mobile use would plummet.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
All that's needed is someone to enforce the law. Road users do as they please because they know they won't get caught.
Something like this maybe,

lorry1111s.png

They could even stick a trailer on the back and instantly 'seize' vehicles of persistent offenders.

[QUOTE 4744596, member: 9609"]Meanwhile - a little confusion over the legality of hands-free[/QUOTE]
I don't see the confusion. There are hundreds of things you legally do in a car but it's still illegal to be so distracted by them.

eg You're allowed to have you children in the car, and you are allowed to talk to them, but if you are so distracted by them you kill someone, I'd expect the police to charge you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I don't see the confusion. There are hundreds of things you legally do in a car but it's still illegal to be so distracted by them.

eg You're allowed to have you children in the car, and you are allowed to talk to them, but if you are so distracted by them you kill someone, I'd expect the police to charge you.
Kids are bloomin distracting, nearly ddint stop at a zebra crossing because mini screamers were in full flow, am i in charge ? i think you could argue both ways but using a phone is your decision, you can choose to answer it , ignore it or turn it off whereas kids dont have an off switch unfortunately ;)
It has been found that using a hands free is distracting as drink driving .
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2006/jun/30/mobilephones.uknews

whereas kids dont have an off switch unfortunately ;)
Yes, but your car does.

Drago

Legendary Member
Think I read summat once, even hands free increases your reaction times akin to those of a drink driver.

I know I'm an old fart, but I can't understand the desire for people to have phone conversations, send text messages or read Facebook while behind the wheel.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Police in Devon seem to be getting creative with their detection methods.

http://www.devonlive.com/watch-out-...uble-deckers/story-30232514-detail/story.html

image.jpeg

"The operation at the weekend was so successful, with a total of 130 drivers stopped on Friday and Saturday, ..."

Top Bottom