Mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Dad has one but I don't know much about them other than they come in pavement versions restricted to 4mph and road versions that can reach 8mph and often have lights, indicators and a longer battery range.

That looks ideal if it's just for tootling to the shops though.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Yes its just to let here get out and about on her own while shes learning to walk again .

screenman

Legendary Member
Great idea for those that need them, I do question why we have 300,000 of them in this country whilst France it seems has only 3,000. That is a huge difference for the same population size

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Both my father-in-law has one and my mum. My mum's is a basic, 4mph version that she's currently reluctant to use but will need to in the next few years.

FIL's is an 8mph one and he's reliant on it: he gets about the village where they live. Without the mobility scooter he'd be housebound.

AyJay

Über Member
Because the French don't care about their disabled folk?

Not sure if only disabled people use them. They are a good form of transport for many able bodied folks also.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Two things that spring to mind about mobility scooters. The first is that in my opinion they shouldn't be on the road,and that doesn't mean they shouldn't cross the road etc on them. Just not use them as part of the traffic. The second one is the selfish gits who block the pavements with their cars,vans and lorries,making disability scooter users use the road as part of the traffic.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Great idea for those that need them, I do question why we have 300,000 of them in this country whilst France it seems has only 3,000. That is a huge difference for the same population size

Interesting.

Something similar I have observed, on frequent visits to France (and some other mainland Europe countries), is, they seem to have far fewer "disabled" parking bays in Supermarket Carparks, and, indeed, in Public Carparks.

This is not a scientific observation, merely an observation, when compared to my local retail centre and supermarket, in the area in which I live.

I am not making any judgement on why this may be so, but, since the population of France is similar in size to the UK, the age profile is similar, why the apparently large discrepancy?

One possible explanation is that the French, perhaps, historically, had a more Agricultural Economy than ourselves, with proportionately fewer people engaged in heavy industry (I am not saying this is the case, I simply don't know, I saying it may be a possible explanation).

Another none scientific observation. At present, myself and Mrs @BoldonLad, are visiting Colchester. When we enquired at the reception area of our accommodation, how far it was to the Town Centre, we were told "about 1 mile, most of our English guests get a taxi, the French, Dutch etc walk". I assume they were using "English" in the general sense of "UK".

Perhaps, there is a connection.

We walked by the way (even although we do have concessionary bus passes) ;)

Last edited:
Top Bottom