Mobility scooters

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Cuchilo, 13 Jan 2018.

1. Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

2. Mo1959

Mo1959 Guru

Dad has one but I don't know much about them other than they come in pavement versions restricted to 4mph and road versions that can reach 8mph and often have lights, indicators and a longer battery range.

That looks ideal if it's just for tootling to the shops though.

3. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

Yes its just to let here get out and about on her own while shes learning to walk again .

4. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

My dad had one when he was alive, he was too stubborn to use it!
    This completely knackered the battery. (The scooter, but ultimately his too)

5. meta lon

meta lon Guru

Be fine.
    Batteries can be tired but they are easy to change.

Use and sell on

6. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Great idea for those that need them, I do question why we have 300,000 of them in this country whilst France it seems has only 3,000. That is a huge difference for the same population size

7. Drago

Drago Guru

Because the French don't care about their disabled folk?

alicat likes this.
  8. DCLane

DCLane Found in the Yorkshire hills ...

Both my father-in-law has one and my mum. My mum's is a basic, 4mph version that she's currently reluctant to use but will need to in the next few years.

FIL's is an 8mph one and he's reliant on it: he gets about the village where they live. Without the mobility scooter he'd be housebound.

9. AyJay

AyJay Senior Member

Not sure if only disabled people use them. They are a good form of transport for many able bodied folks also.

10. Two things that spring to mind about mobility scooters. The first is that in my opinion they shouldn't be on the road,and that doesn't mean they shouldn't cross the road etc on them. Just not use them as part of the traffic. The second one is the selfish gits who block the pavements with their cars,vans and lorries,making disability scooter users use the road as part of the traffic.

mybike likes this.
  11. screenman

Do you think that?

12. Regulator

Regulator Scourge of stale, pale, male snowflakes.

Who says France only has about 3,000 mobility scooters?

13. Drago

Drago Guru

No chum, I was asking the question.

Obesity levels in the UK are cracking on for double that of France, so that might have something to do with it?

Accy cyclist likes this.
  14. screenman

I think the
    I honestly cannot remember where I got that information, I will try and find it again later.

15. screenman

In that case no I do not think the French do not care. I think maybe the sellers of these machines are far more proactive over here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice