1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mobility scooters

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Cuchilo, 13 Jan 2018.

1. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

Interesting.

Something similar I have observed, on frequent visits to France (and some other mainland Europe countries), is, they seem to have far fewer "disabled" parking bays in Supermarket Carparks, and, indeed, in Public Carparks.

This is not a scientific observation, merely an observation, when compared to my local retail centre and supermarket, in the area in which I live.

I am not making any judgement on why this may be so, but, since the population of France is similar in size to the UK, the age profile is similar, why the apparently large discrepancy?

One possible explanation is that the French, perhaps, historically, had a more Agricultural Economy than ourselves, with proportionately fewer people engaged in heavy industry (I am not saying this is the case, I simply don't know, I saying it may be a possible explanation).

Another none scientific observation. At present, myself and Mrs @BoldonLad, are visiting Colchester. When we enquired at the reception area of our accommodation, how far it was to the Town Centre, we were told "about 1 mile, most of our English guests get a taxi, the French, Dutch etc walk". I assume they were using "English" in the general sense of "UK".

Perhaps, there is a connection.

We walked by the way (even although we do have concessionary bus passes) ;)

Last edited: 13 Jan 2018
    Drago likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

I think its because the french eat disabled people , well , they eat everything else ......

Paulus and Drago like this.
  3. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

Medium rare or well done ?

4. Dave7

Dave7 Veteran

I play golf every week......in the seniors section. There are several players who go round on mobility scooters.....slightly adapted to carry thier clubs.
    I think its a great idea. It gets them out and I enjoy thier company. Without those scooters thier lives would not be as rich.
    When the time comes I will not hesitate to get one.

Paulus and Mister Paul like this.
  5. twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive Clinging on tightly

MiL has one. I got it off ebay for her some years ago. After a spell of her use I had to get new batteries. No trouble sorting that out. Only problem is her inability to drive it sensibly. I don't get involved in that part :wacko:. Anyway - it gives her a bit of a sense of independence as otherwise she needs Mrs 26 or AN Other to run her about.

raleighnut likes this.
  6. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Skegness has a high proportion of tandem mobility scooters, they do have problems in a few of the smaller shops it seems.

7. simon.r

simon.r Person

Non judgemental me - they enable people with genuine health problems to get out and about and participate in normal life.

Judgemental me - they’re an excuse for obese and/or lazy people to avoid walking.

BoldonLad and NorthernDave like this.
  8. screenman

As I said earlier, I think they are great for people that need them but why is the UK the largest buyer of these things.

simon.r likes this.
  9. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

I was in a shoe shop last year in a local "designer" shopping outlet, when a woman in a mobility scooter came in, not one of the small scooters. She got to the far corner, only knocking one or two shoe boxes over on the way, but then tried to turn a right angle corner and got stuck. She tried to go through, knocking whole shelves of boxes over, got stuck and then reversed taking whole displays out. We tried to help but she said she had it sorted. When she eventually got out the place looked like a bomb had hit it and the staff didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

raleighnut and Drago like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

I took my mum in her wheelchair around york a few times over christmas and was quite amazed at how many times we couldnt get down a shop isle because it was obstructed by boxes or extra display stands . It wasnt hard to go around another way but then it wouldnt be hard for them to put the stuff somewhere else .

screenman likes this.
  11. Drago

Drago Guru

12. screenman

Drago likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

raleighnut, Drago and screenman like this.
  14. BoldonLad

BoldonLad Senior Member

No me either.

The two I know must be figments of my imagination.

Dave7 and screenman like this.
  15. Stephenite

Stephenite Membå

The bloke across the road has mobility issues and has had a mobility scooter for the past couple of years. His wife has been using it in this time to take their kid to kindergarten and to go to the shops, etc. Some people are just very lazy.

Reading through the thread I must add that there are plenty of mobility scooters and handicapped provision here in Norway. Why there may not be in France i couldn't say.

Drago likes this.