Mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think its because the french eat disabled people , well , they eat everything else ......
Medium rare or well done ?

Dave7

Legendary Member
I play golf every week......in the seniors section. There are several players who go round on mobility scooters.....slightly adapted to carry thier clubs.
I think its a great idea. It gets them out and I enjoy thier company. Without those scooters thier lives would not be as rich.
When the time comes I will not hesitate to get one.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
MiL has one. I got it off ebay for her some years ago. After a spell of her use I had to get new batteries. No trouble sorting that out. Only problem is her inability to drive it sensibly. I don't get involved in that part :wacko:. Anyway - it gives her a bit of a sense of independence as otherwise she needs Mrs 26 or AN Other to run her about.

screenman

Legendary Member
Skegness has a high proportion of tandem mobility scooters, they do have problems in a few of the smaller shops it seems.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I took my mum in her wheelchair around york a few times over christmas and was quite amazed at how many times we couldnt get down a shop isle because it was obstructed by boxes or extra display stands . It wasnt hard to go around another way but then it wouldnt be hard for them to put the stuff somewhere else .

Drago

Legendary Member

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2

Stephenite

Membå
The bloke across the road has mobility issues and has had a mobility scooter for the past couple of years. His wife has been using it in this time to take their kid to kindergarten and to go to the shops, etc. Some people are just very lazy.

Reading through the thread I must add that there are plenty of mobility scooters and handicapped provision here in Norway. Why there may not be in France i couldn't say.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Great idea for those that need them, I do question why we have 300,000 of them in this country whilst France it seems has only 3,000. That is a huge difference for the same population size

Difference in cultural norms, maybe? I have noticed that pavements in France aren’t always suitable for mobility scooters - too narrow, under repaired or lack of drop kerbs.

Two things that spring to mind about mobility scooters. The first is that in my opinion they shouldn't be on the road,and that doesn't mean they shouldn't cross the road etc on them. Just not use them as part of the traffic. The second one is the selfish gits who block the pavements with their cars,vans and lorries,making disability scooter users use the road as part of the traffic.

Only those with a proper number plate should be on the road. However, sometimes a user will have to use a short section of the road to be able to access the next drop kerb to return to the pavement or avoid obstacles like wheelie bins.

Skegness has a high proportion of tandem mobility scooters, they do have problems in a few of the smaller shops it seems.

Nearly everyone in Skegness has one. It’s like dodg’ems.

I took my mum in her wheelchair around york a few times over christmas and was quite amazed at how many times we couldnt get down a shop isle because it was obstructed by boxes or extra display stands . It wasnt hard to go around another way but then it wouldnt be hard for them to put the stuff somewhere else .

There is a legal requirement in shops (or so I believe) that there should be 1 metre aisle clearance. Unfortunately, smaller shops cannot always meet this requirement due to stock storage issues. There are a lot of small shops in York.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
In my recollection Britain is the sick man of Europe with higher levels of obesity than other countries.

Also, many French towns are impassable by scooter due to bad parking, lack of drop kerbs, flights of steep stairs and pavement cares.

Top Bottom