Mobility scooters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
When we were in Tenerife the tandem mobility scooters were everywhere. Near all the riders were Brits, often with a fag in one hand and a beer in the other.

That sound awful, how do you know they were brits? They might have just been pretending to bo so just to give us a bad name.

Tim Hall

Difference in cultural norms, maybe? I have noticed that pavements in France aren’t always suitable for mobility scooters - too narrow, under repaired or lack of drop kerbs.

Only those with a proper number plate should be on the road.
No requirement for a number plate as far as I know. Class III (that's those that can do 8mph etc) must be registered with the DVLA but I didn't think you get a number plate in exchange.

screenman

Legendary Member
We have a couple of guys in the village that can and do get to Horncastle or Lincoln on their scooters,10 miles to both of them on fast single carriage roads.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just picked this bad boy up and its a beast ! I'm just charging the batteries now and will see how well they last when i test ride them flat .... I could use a multimeter but wheres the fun in that :laugh:

39689205391_c32d9d201d_z.jpg

I thought it was a littleun :eek:

Last edited:

DRM

Guru
Just picked this bad boy up and its a beast ! I'm just charging the batteries now and will see how well they last when i test ride them flat .... I could use a multimeter but wheres the fun in that :laugh:

View attachment 391522

If the batteries are past it you will need traction batteries, not a car starter, or caravan leisure battery, they aren't cheap, also you will need to test the batteries under load to check the voltage drop & recovery.

Drago

Legendary Member
Years ago Mrs D's Mother's mobility scooter broke down about half a mile from home. A local builder who knows her drove by and stopped to see if he could assist. Next thing she knows, Mrs D's Mum is on the tail lift of his Transit flat bed, on the back, and the scooter ratchet strapped down. She was driven the last few hundred yards home while still sat in the scooter. She was not impressed.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If the batteries are past it you will need traction batteries, not a car starter, or caravan leisure battery, they aren't cheap, also you will need to test the batteries under load to check the voltage drop & recovery.
Thanks . I took it for a blast this morning in the rain . I thought that would be a good test to see if everything was ok ( i didn't expect it to belt down like it did though :angry: ) Four miles done at full speed 4mph and the battery is still showing a near full charge on the scooters screen .
The tyres must have been flat on it for a while and look a bit perished so ive booked it into a local mobility shop to get new ones fitted . I'll ask them to spec new batteries for me so we know what to buy should they need replacing .
Mum said she didn't want one but between telling her last night and speaking to her this morning she has already planned trips she can do and is going to fit a carpet in the footwell for her dog :laugh:

screenman

Legendary Member

View attachment 391522

Lethal machine, is that flame thrower legal down your way.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Scooter delivered and she crashed it into a bus shelter .
She said she hit a bus stop but i explained that to hit the bus stop she would have to aim at a small post at the side of the road . She had hit the building next to the bus stop . :laugh: Nice to see her laughing her head off again :smile:

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Scooter delivered and she crashed it into a bus shelter .
She said she hit a bus stop but i explained that to hit the bus stop she would have to aim at a small post at the side of the road . She had hit the building next to the bus stop . :laugh: Nice to see her laughing her head off again :smile:

Not sure if this is relevant to mobility scooters, or, even true, but......

When I took motorcycle lessons (age 64), my instructor told me, when steering, look at the space you want to go through, NOT, the obstacle. If you look at the obstacle, you will hit it. I must admit, it appears to work for me.

Pleased to hear your mother is laughing again.... long may it continue! ;)

Top Bottom