Modding a B75

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have two of those SA shifters...one as shown for my Brompton and a bar end model for my Surly Steamroller moustache bars. Both are the 3 speed version and they work flawlessly and are nice looking, solid and sturdy. Since I am in my seventies I consider them to be lifetime shifters.

kj92

Made the change today, to an M/H handlebar, I believe a post-2017 shape ❤

20200604_094347.jpg

kj92

You've got the old Brompton brake levers on your bike, they are pretty rubbish. Shimano BL-R550 levers are a direct replacement and are only about £17 a pair.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Shimano-BL-R550-Brake-Levers-for-Flat-Handlebars-22-2mm-Clamp-Black/274083491802?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:blush:T&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Here is a set on mine

View attachment 527412
Nice, thanks, they look pretty special (and shiny!)

Do you think I should hold off on installing them if I'm looking at getting my first free service with Evans (should have done it within 6 weeks of getting the bike)? I think I mentioned before but I got the bike in December and only started using it in April, really... please advise seeing as I've already changed the handlebar 😂

Gunk

Guru
@kj92 I’ve got a genuine Brompton saddle I’m looking to sell if you’re interested, it’s in great condition.

Last edited:

kj92

@kj92 I’ve got a genuine Brompton saddle I’m looking to sell if you’re interested, it’s in great condition.

View attachment 529186
Thanks for thinking of me, but I still have the one I got when I bought the B75!

I think if I'm big an' strong enough, I might opt for the notoriously hard Brooks seat in the near future

Gunk

Guru
Thanks for thinking of me, but I still have the one I got when I bought the B75!

I think if I'm big an' strong enough, I might opt for the notoriously hard Brooks seat in the near future

I’ve just fitted one to mine, first impressions are good, it’s very comfortable

BEF2228A-7F1D-4C3C-8ACF-4667E169C010.jpeg

Gunk

Guru
Made some more changes to mine, fitted the SA shifter and a Brooks Swift as I used the B17 for another bike.

12boy

Guru
I've had a nice Velo Orange honey colored leather saddle on mine for about 7 years. I like these saddles so much I have five, 4 honey and one black. Since I recently put black Ergon grips on it, my OCD mandated I go with the black saddle. A slave to fashion I am.

Gunk

Guru
IMO the narrower Swift looks better than the B17, however it’s not as comfortable, releasing some tension helps a bit

Top Bottom