Model shop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It might of helped if they put in someone who new what is was all about.
Can't understand that. These shops can only work if they are staffed by knowledgeable enthusiasts and there was always a supply of them lining up. We did have one guy though from the warehouse who used to fill in and although very knowledgeable was rather 'abrasive'.
Even the old boys and there trains are a dying breed. No young blood coming into the old hobbies.
Yes, I'm unable to understand this to some extent. I don't know who is fuelling this resurgence in model trains but the hobby has never been so buoyant. You can now get just about every loco in British outline in OO.
Younger people are getting into the hobby and it's more technology driven than other branches. Whereas back then all you could do is turn the control knob and it goes back or forwards the advent of DCC (digital command control) means you have an array of features to use, even more so with sound. You can simulate inertia, control acceleration and deceleration, two or more trains on the same track, turn lights on or off and with sound you can program in brake squeal, choice of horns and much more. There is also a a cheap Arduino computer you can use to control your trains:
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthu...odel-railway-layout-running-two-trains-88f5cb
Smart phone technology has been also been embraced so on my system I can use my phone or tablet to control using a WiFi router. Some cheaper systems use Bluetooth. So there is a lot going on for someone who wants to combine model railways with an interest in computing.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
My local shop in Bristol:]
https://anticsonline.uk/

Wonderful emporium of plastic, balsa wood & glue^_^. There used to be one here in my home town of Darlington way back in the 1970's. Ground floor for nails, screws, fixings etc, top floor full of airfix kits & others. I used to like building the old Airfix space kits as the moon landing were still going on at the time. Anyone here remember 'Handicrafts' In Darlington?.

It's like this today:
handicrafts location.jpg

Handy indeed as it was across the street from a cinema. We used to pile in here after watching movies & blow what pocket money we had on models.

classic33

Leg End Member
Can't understand that. These shops can only work if they are staffed by knowledgeable enthusiasts and there was always a supply of them lining up. We did have one guy though from the warehouse who used to fill in and although very knowledgeable was rather 'abrasive'.

Yes, I'm unable to understand this to some extent. I don't know who is fuelling this resurgence in model trains but the hobby has never been so buoyant. You can now get just about every loco in British outline in OO.
Younger people are getting into the hobby and it's more technology driven than other branches. Whereas back then all you could do is turn the control knob and it goes back or forwards the advent of DCC (digital command control) means you have an array of features to use, even more so with sound. You can simulate inertia, control acceleration and deceleration, two or more trains on the same track, turn lights on or off and with sound you can program in brake squeal, choice of horns and much more. There is also a a cheap Arduino computer you can use to control your trains:
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthu...odel-railway-layout-running-two-trains-88f5cb
Smart phone technology has been also been embraced so on my system I can use my phone or tablet to control using a WiFi router. Some cheaper systems use Bluetooth. So there is a lot going on for someone who wants to combine model railways with an interest in computing.
Those entering the hobby, model trains/railways, tend to be split fairly evenly. They are either able to afford the high end Special/Limited Editions or they baulk at the prices.

There seems to be very little middle ground, price wise, available. With entry level prices getting higher each year. Manufacturer's need to remember that it's people entering the hobby that are allowing the high end models to be made. Loose them, and they can forget the high end models.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.

Thats the problem they did not work, the guy in the Enfield shop was only interested if you were into what he liked. After a recent visit to the model engineers exibition the turnout was well down on last year, not many youngsters, the train stands were all manned by old boys. It's so popular there is talk about not running it next year.

Langley's toy shop in Norwich Arcade had a large modelling section with plastic kits and balsa wood ones.
Airfix kits taught me all about knife safety the hard way.
Are kids still allowed to use dope on paper?

We have a small model shop that has been there for many years in a small suburban row of shops near our home. I only use it for touch-up paint to match the frequent scratches in my bikes and asked the owner how he managed to survive. He said that he has had to move with the times and now 90% of his trade is online.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Lancaster's model shops are now sadly long gone. The art supplies shop has a small selection of kits but they're not inspiring at all... it was the vast range that i used to like looking at as a kid. I think there's a toy shop in Morecambe with a decent range... but that's not the same as a proper model shop.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I remember there used to be a massive model shop in Holborn - used to spend many a Saturday afternoon browsing in there before heading off to Foyles and Sportspages, which was a few stops further along on the bus.
That would have been Beatties, I believe. They also had a shop in Romford where I bought my much loved Tom's Toyota 1/12 scale R/C kit, made by Tamiya.

I wish I'd kept it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
That would have been Beatties, I believe. They also had a shop in Romford where I bought my much loved Tom's Toyota 1/12 scale R/C kit, made by Tamiya.

I wish I'd kept it.
There used to be two Beatties model shops in Southgate, one was for brand new stuff, and just around the corner was the secondhand shop where you could buy and sell model railway locomotives, carriages, wagons etc and model aircraft including the powered engines.
Plus, for many years there was a model shop in North Finchley called Michael's Models, a privately owned very good shop, but sadly now gone.

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There used to be two Beatties model shops in Southgate, one was for brand new stuff, and just around the corner was the secondhand shop where you could buy and sell model railway locomotives, carriages, wagons etc and model aircraft including the powered engines.
Beatties was not much of a model shop, unless you wanted Tamiya stuff, not much in the way of ic . ok for railway people. i remember a big one in the Hollaway road though, that was a good one.

presta

Guru
I used to spend so long at King Charles Sports Centre in Leeds looking at the model railways that my dad asked the assistant if they did bed and breakfast. ^_^

Top Bottom