Model shop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Proto

Legendary Member
There’s an excellent model shop in Frome. Model railway, plastic kits, everything. A real joy.

https://fromemodelcentre.com/

stephec

Legendary Member
Not down the road into Manchester, about an hours walk out, just before the roundabout?
What's it called?

There's Bolton Modelmart in the town centre, mainly RC and railway, but he does kits as well.

The one I use is MJR in Hindley, proper old style model shop with floor to ceiling shelves, a top range of kits, paint, and accessories.

Mike_P

Guru
Trouble is proper old type model shops are few and far, the likes of Hattons may do well but are a poor to visit as are too many smaller shops that are poorly stacked. Suspect the Channel 5 program has helped.

classic33

Leg End Member
What's it called?

There's Bolton Modelmart in the town centre, mainly RC and railway, but he does kits as well.

The one I use is MJR in Hindley, proper old style model shop with floor to ceiling shelves, a top range of kits, paint, and accessories.
The Locoshed, Bury Old Road.

classic33

Leg End Member
Trouble is proper old type model shops are few and far, the likes of Hattons may do well but are a poor to visit as are too many smaller shops that are poorly stacked. Suspect the Channel 5 program has helped.
Halifax Modeller's World, Horton Street via Union Street, previously in the Piece Hall.

Oxford Dave

I must have covered some miles back in the first half of the seventies, cycling from Bramhall to Stockport Model Shop once or twice a week for glues, balsa, diesel fuel, etc. Happy days!

gbb

Legendary Member
Sadly, I suspect times have moved on.
As a young teenager, I'd buy tabletop sized plans of 3ft wingspan balsa aircraft that had the form of every part printed on it, I'd hand cut spars and wing sections, everything, pin and glue them, tissue and dope a skin on them, fly them, everything was available from a model shop, it took maybe 2 weeks to build. I was talking to a guy some years ago, he said the same about flying models as was said about trains up post...no-one from the younger generation is doing that anymore.
I did a few Airfix kits with my kids In the 90s maybe, they didn't seem particually interested tbf, even back then.

Beatties was not much of a model shop, unless you wanted Tamiya stuff, not much in the way of ic . ok for railway people. i remember a big one in the Hollaway road though, that was a good one.

That was Henry J Nicholas at 308, Holloway Rd.
That was really a place of wonder and awe. Henry J died in 2000:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1353685/Henry-Nicholls.html
It was taken over by a friend and I think is still there today but the shop is very much smaller:
https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/...-famous-model-shop-in-holloway-road-1-4995375

Yup, it's still there. Seems to be mainly RC aircraft and military models on display...

midlife

Guru
Sadly, I suspect times have moved on.
As a young teenager, I'd buy tabletop sized plans of 3ft wingspan balsa aircraft that had the form of every part printed on it, I'd hand cut spars and wing sections, everything, pin and glue them, tissue and dope a skin on them, fly them, everything was available from a model shop, it took maybe 2 weeks to build. I was talking to a guy some years ago, he said the same about flying models as was said about trains up post...no-one from the younger generation is doing that anymore.
I did a few Airfix kits with my kids In the 90s maybe, they didn't seem particually interested tbf, even back then.

Same here, Keil Kraft Caprice, Inchworm, contest Kits Empress.........

Yet to get to F.M.R.'s new home, but if it's anything like the old one it'll be worth it.

Presuming you mean Frizinghall Model Railways, in Shipley, near the wooden Church & Hollins Hill
Yes, it's a good place!!:okay:

Not a patch on Rails Of Sheffield though, that's impressive!!!
Took father-in-law, last January

502381 502382

502383 502384

As is the DCC Concepts shop, at Settle, especially for the Ribblehead Viaduct model!!

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10216738546688315&set=a.10216314641890960&type=3&theater

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
Late forties early fifties we had a model shop in Loughborough were we spent many a happy hour talking to Reg the owner.That was back in the day when we built model planes built from balsa wood .The fuselage and wings covered with tissue paper and powered by elastic attached to the prop

My mate built one that was powered by a small petrol engine The plane was attached to wires so could only fly in circles.If memory serves me correctly there were competitions with the planes doing stunts

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Late forties early fifties we had a model shop in Loughborough were we spent many a happy hour talking to Reg the owner.That was back in the day when we built model planes built from balsa wood .The fuselage and wings covered with tissue paper and powered by elastic attached to the prop

My mate built one that was powered by a small petrol engine The plane was attached to wires so could only fly in circles.If memory serves me correctly there were competitions with the planes doing stunts
I remember flying control line models.:okay: Think it was called a Talon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom