Model shop.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
They used to tie ribbons to the tails and try and cut opponents ribbons with their propeller. :smile:. Made my gliders seem boring lol

Reactions: gbb

pawl

Legendary Member
I remember flying control line models.:okay: Think it was called a Talon.
View attachment 502387
[/QUOTE

Was that built from a kit.Back in the day kits came with a plan.The various pieces were laid on plan.Cut to size and joined with balsa cement.You had to be carful else the parts got stuck to the plan.

Milzy

Guru
I used to build them as a kid & hang them from my ceiling with fishing wire. Sadly they all were broken. Did a few battle ships too, the Bismarck took some time with all it's guns.

gbb

Legendary Member
Makes you wonder what its fallen from popularity.
Memories...
I had a 6ft wingspan competition glider (I didnt make that one) You towed it up with 20lb fishing line and you could feel the pull as it leapt skyward. Timer mounted that flipped the tail aileron, gently stalling it back to earth. I cant imagine what height that used to fly but a little trim on the rudder kept it going in a circular motion.
One Cessna type free flight model I made,, brought from my Birthday money, 2 weeks build, towed it up the first time...up it went, and up, and straight on...and straight on. I'd forgotten the trim. I ran for maybe 2 miles after it but it disappeared off I to the distance, never to be seen again. Maiden flight, running through hedges, nettles and then the realisation...sod it, it's gone.

I tried controll lines but I think the engine I used was underpowered, it just nosedived into the ground .

Spent many an hour running engines on homemade jigs in the garden, the smell of ether, beautiful smell.

The hours spent poring over drawings, the hours cutting, sanding, glueing, doing, thats before the fun of flight, summer days on airfields, catching thermals and watching it soar overhead. If only kids now knew the pleasures to be had.

classic33

Leg End Member
One I felt that went backwards was Manchester Models on Deansgate, when it became another Modelzone shop.

midlife

Guru
Makes you wonder what its fallen from popularity.
Memories...
I had a 6ft wingspan competition glider (I didnt make that one) You towed it up with 20lb fishing line and you could feel the pull as it leapt skyward. Timer mounted that flipped the tail aileron, gently stalling it back to earth. I cant imagine what height that used to fly but a little trim on the rudder kept it going in a circular motion.
One Cessna type free flight model I made,, brought from my Birthday money, 2 weeks build, towed it up the first time...up it went, and up, and straight on...and straight on. I'd forgotten the trim. I ran for maybe 2 miles after it but it disappeared off I to the distance, never to be seen again. Maiden flight, running through hedges, nettles and then the realisation...sod it, it's gone.

I tried controll lines but I think the engine I used was underpowered, it just nosedived into the ground .

Spent many an hour running engines on homemade jigs in the garden, the smell of ether, beautiful smell.

The hours spent poring over drawings, the hours cutting, sanding, glueing, doing, thats before the fun of flight, summer days on airfields, catching thermals and watching it soar overhead. If only kids now knew the pleasures to be had.

Blimey I had forgotten about DT timers (de-thernaliser). I bought a Merlin Glider kit for about 20 quid and in the middle of building it, albeit quite slowly but tried to get 14 year old interested but beaten by YouTube....

Top Bottom