Modern hub bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I realise I'm out of date with modern developments but I'm a bit puzzled with threads that I see regarding bearings. I still ride an old bike with Campagnolo Chorus hubs, the bearings of which are cup and cone. To lubricate or adjust them, I need to use my cone spanners. Are such hubs still manufactured and in use these days?

Tangoup51

I realise I'm out of date with modern developments but I'm a bit puzzled with threads that I see regarding bearings. I still ride an old bike with Campagnolo Chorus hubs, the bearings of which are cup and cone. To lubricate or adjust them, I need to use my cone spanners. Are such hubs still manufactured and in use these days?

Someone could probably give you a more in-depth history lesson but in a summary, yes. Shimano in particular love cup'n cone and their higher-end hubs still consist of it.

However for alot of other people on the higher end market they're now using cartridge bearings, bearings pre-pressed into a sealed circular race that then get shoved into the hub. - I'd say they're less fiddly but also less adjustable as a result - Imho the biggest benefit of them is that you can't ruin said hub, unlike cup'n cone if you neglect them you'll destroy your hub for the most part. - That said, you can really dial in a good feel with cup'n cone. - Other brands still use cup 'n cone on their lower-tier hubs.

And most unbranded generic el cheapo hubs are indeed cup'n cone. - I've always preferred cup n cone (of low and high end) to these to cartridge bearings, more-so because Some cartridge bearings really can wear out fast. I'm talking less than 1,000 Miles fast, but that's only an exception or two.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
The problem is not particually with the hubs...it's some manufacturers insistence on fitting cheap cartridge bearings.
Hubs with good cartridge bearings are perfectly good, my Fulcrums 5s are running just as well 6 years after I fitted SKFs (although I did have an 18 month off the bike).

I think the major difference is....if you buy major branded wheels with cup n cones, they'll generally be good quality.
If you buy major branded wheels with cartridge bearings, it's more difficult to know if they have good or mediocre quality bearings in. The only consolation is they're easy to replace and not excessively expensive either.

Top Bottom