Modern Televisions - what do I need to know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin_P

Guru
If you are still using a CRT then anything, even the cheapest modern set will be a massive upgrade. All will come with a 'freeview' capability. Some will be 'smart'.

Things I look for are;

Some are 'smarter' than others. I got a 'dumb' so called 'smart' TV about five years ago expecting it to have connectivity to anything online once the network cable was plugged into it. Wrong, there was a limited choice of what could be seen online. Make sure it has the capability to connect to what you use i.e netflix.

Other than that, even the most basic will be a huge upgrade from what you have now, don't overspend.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Plasma is an outdated technology now. Smart is often limited depending on the tv brand, better to get a Roku or similar device to provide internet connectivity to a non-smart tv. Built in Freeview HD is worth having over standard Freeview.

vickster

Legendary Member
They don't make plasmas any more so you are stuck with HD LED, UHD 4K LED and OLED

Visit here if you like research

https://www.avforums.com/forums/which-tv-should-i-buy.367/

And then buy from John Lewis

TVC

How much do you want to spend? TVs are like computers, they tend to be sold at price points. You can get an unknown brand or an old model for under £200, The big brand smart jobs come in £3-500. If you want to pay more then there are alsorts of exotics.

A Sony or Samsung Smart TV is a safe bet.

13 rider

Guru
4 Meg broadband is at the lower end of speed which you could stream without buffering .If its steady at 4 Meg you should get away with it

Mo1959

Legendary Member
As stated above, plasma is on the way out I think.

I still have a plasma in the main room as they were popular at the time, but the bedroom has a 32" Sony Bravia with built in Freeview HD tuner. I bought a wireless dongle to connect to my router for watching catchup tv on, but I think the more recent ones may well have wifi built in now.

You need a full 1080 HD TV not an old HD Ready going cheap.

Make sure that the TV has Freeview HD or Freesat HD - whichever you want (the Freesat will need a dish).

Cheaper "Good name" TV's usually have inferior SD pictures and the picture gets worse when viewed from an angle. If you look straight ahead at the TV and only watch HD then this is the way to go.

Look for a TV that you like and then run through the customer revies on Amazon etc -especially re the Sound quality as this varies considerably.

Richer Sounds are recommended - great prices - 5 year guarantee on every TV - join their VIP club and get an extra 10% off.

Top Bottom