Modern Televisions - what do I need to know

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

[QUOTE 4092888, member: 259"]I agree. Plex and Kodi are both really good nowadays. You don't even need a PC - they both run perfectly on the same NAS everything is stored on.

We have a Humax box for Freesat and catchup TV.[/QUOTE]
Catchup stuff isn't very good on Kodi though. There's an Iplayer addon, but the C4 one and ITV ones are broken.

tyred

Legendary Member
You've got a 100 channels and still nothing worth watching.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I recently bought a Samsung smart tv with the plan of hooking the sound up to my amplifier. Unfortunately, the tv has digital (s/pdif & optical) outputs, while the amplifier only has phono inputs. A cheap digital to analogue converter is on my shopping list.
I bought a similar Samsung TV a couple months ago. My ancient surround sound system only has two phono inputs though, so I have a cable running from the headphone socket on the TV to the amp phono inputs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We got the latest 40" SAMSUNG with 3d (not that we've used the 3D) and also bought my daughter a 22" Samsung Smart TV for Xmas. Fantastic picture and sound on the 40" is more than acceptable.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I love my plasma, its 5 years old and was expensive, but its colours and black levels, motion handling were way better than any LCD I looked at, at the time. Still things have moved on, and plasma's use more energy etc, and there are LED tv's. You could probably buy a good used plasma for sod all used. Probably a good call.

Budget? What size?

Currys
£500 at the moment will get you a 4K Ultra HD 49" LED with freeview and catch-up TV
The 43" version is £400
or a Decent Samsung 24" Smart LED with freeview for £160

Doubt any of them will last 18 years... but, at this rate. in 18 years we'll be well past 64K hologram technology!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Modern tellies aren't tellies but computers in the appearance of tellies. Ditto soundbases. Ditto dvd/blueray players. &c.

Wafer

Veteran
Bought a Samsung smart tv for the kitchen in January sales last year. It's fine but I got a roku for the main tv for Christmas and makes me wish I'd gone that route in the kitchen too.
If I was buying another tv now I wouldn't go smart, the interface on the roku is so much better than the smart interface on the Samsung tv.

It does mean an extra controller but it can also be controlled via an app on android and ios.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There's a devil inside each one that captivates audiences for hours at the expense of conversation.

Frags me if we go to visit someone and they put the TV on - unless it's football of course. :smile:
Kind of agree. My dad loves his telly and when I go for a visit its on most of the time. He and my step mum are both very deaf now so it's blaring and I usually have a splitting headache by the time I leave.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I had a great Sony Triniton 32" that went pop in the 2002 World Cup, since then I've had plasma and LCD and neither gives me the quality of picture (for footie) that the CRT did, plus with the Sony I could watch 2 games simultaneously (half a screen each) as the tournaments entered the latter stages. :okay:

After it'd demise I bought an LCD Philips 32" first, for £1200, after all sorts of plasma and lcd my last purchase was an Panasonic Viera 43" plasma in Xmas 2014 from Ebay, for £95, that's still going strong, but not as good as the CRT Trinitron. :wacko:
That great Sony Triniton 32" is on in front of me right now. Modern tvs are sharper, but none I've seen comes close for colour quality. The sound's great too. When it dies, I'll probably get another one off ebay, if I can.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Have a look at Samsung TVs for picture. You ideally need to see one in a house not a shop. We were happy with an old 28" Panasonic 100hz CRT as the colours were great, buy I saw the Samsung we have now in the flesh and was able to play with it before we bought one.

The Roku HDMI plug in adapters are great but aren't entirety legal. I have a few similar apps on the laptop that I can use wifi direct to put the movie on the TV without wires, now that's cool.

Top Bottom