Modify old bike or buy another?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sploo

Regular
I've got a Specialized Allez Triple, bought new circa 2006. It's served me well, and I've always been the performance limit (not the bike).

The gears have finally started to get very "tired", and despite attempts at tuning, it's no longer particularly smooth, and sometimes has trouble shifting.

The question I'm pondering is whether I should replace the groupset with something newer (and hopefully better), or just keep the bike for use on the turbo trainer and get a completely new bike.

The bike was (fairly) budget in 2006 (circa £500), and has an aluminium frame, carbon fork, Alex DA1 rims, Shimano Sora front (52-40-30T) and shifters, and a Shimano Tiagra rear (8 speed). I don't know if it has the capability to run disc brakes.

Looking at the Specialized website, the current base Allez is £1,000, and doesn't look to be a step up in quality (mostly Claris running gear). As £1,000 is basically my budget, that would lean me towards upgrading the existing bike; but (assuming it would even fit), would it be worth trying to fit - say - Shimano 105 parts to a near 20 year old bike?

All uphill

Still rolling along
I've got a Specialized Allez Triple, bought new circa 2006. It's served me well, and I've always been the performance limit (not the bike).

The gears have finally started to get very "tired", and despite attempts at tuning, it's no longer particularly smooth, and sometimes has trouble shifting.

The question I'm pondering is whether I should replace the groupset with something newer (and hopefully better), or just keep the bike for use on the turbo trainer and get a completely new bike.

The bike was (fairly) budget in 2006 (circa £500), and has an aluminium frame, carbon fork, Alex DA1 rims, Shimano Sora front (52-40-30T) and shifters, and a Shimano Tiagra rear (8 speed). I don't know if it has the capability to run disc brakes.

Looking at the Specialized website, the current base Allez is £1,000, and doesn't look to be a step up in quality (mostly Claris running gear). As £1,000 is basically my budget, that would lean me towards upgrading the existing bike; but (assuming it would even fit), would it be worth trying to fit - say - Shimano 105 parts to a near 20 year old bike?

If you like the bike and it fits well I'd personally refresh the drive train, brake pads, bar tape, cables as needed. For £250 you could make it as good as new.

If you really want disc brakes and wider tyres a new bike might be the way to go.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
It's highly unlikely to take a disc brake, but you could replace the groupset for a decent price. That's a possibility. The wheelset may not be able to take anything more than 8-10 speed though, so that might need a different wheelset.

OP
OP
S

sploo

Regular
It's highly unlikely to take a disc brake, but you could replace the groupset for a decent price. That's a possibility. The wheelset may not be able to take anything more than 8-10 speed though, so that might need a different wheelset.

Wheel compatibility is news to me (I didn't know that could be a problem). So, a 12 speed 105 rear cassette might not work? How would I be able to check compatibility?

If you like the bike and it fits well I'd personally refresh the drive train, brake pads, bar tape, cables as needed. For £250 you could make it as good as new.

If you really want disc brakes and wider tyres a new bike might be the way to go.

Not desperate for disc brakes. The original rim brakes on the Allez were terrible, but replacement pads fixed that. It looks as though all of the current 7100 series 105 shifters are for hydraulic disc brakes; so I assume I'd have to either go for a "lower" range, or a previous generation 105 (the 5800 series appears to support rim brakes).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My best/only MTB is a 1996 bike that has been upgraded at various point in it's life and still kicks-ass on the trails. The bike just suits me so I stick with it despite repeated searches for a replacement. Nothing else floats my boat so I keep the money in my pocket and enjoy a discreet smirk when I pass another rider on the latest bike with all the gear but not going anywhere fast. I know it's petty but some people seem to think that spending mega dollar on the latest tech will get the best ride, but you can't re-invent the wheel and a good bike will always be a good bike so if your Allez suits you then give it some TLC and carry on enjoying the miles.....

Chislenko

Veteran
Just my twopennance worth, my Allez is the best bike I have ever owned, have since bought more expensive bikes but nothing rides like the Allez.

Personally, and obviously just my opinion, I would keep it and just renew items as and when required.

Plus you have the advantage of a triple Sora, whilst I realise they are now looked on as "old technology" they are reliable and comparatively cheap to renew worn items.

If you are on the original caliper brake wheels after 18 years they owe you nothing so a set of Vision 30's or similar (look at sales on Merlin) ain't gonna break the bank.

If it was a card game I would stick.

It sounds like the chain and rear cassette is a bit worn. A bike shop can measure the chain and advise if it needs swapping. If you also change the gear and brake cables and add new pads that will potentially give you a smooth running bike for very little money.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Before you spend good money on the likes of cassettes shifters etc. replace the rear gear cable (inner and outer) fit clean n dry with no lube.

Good morning,

A quick look here https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/allez-triple-int/p/20756?color=21676-20756 says that you have a steel stearer/cf fork blades.

As a pure personal choice and as someone who has broken a CF "downtube" I would be apprehensive about the age of this combination.

I frequently swap between 8 and 10 speed and find few advantages in 10 over 8 and in the past the price difference in parts was quite high if you are a high volume user. I have never ventured into 11/12 speed territory as a non elite rider I don't see the point, unless I went for a 1x

Note that the days of every thing being compatible with every else are long gone, so it is often easier to accept the inevitable and if you want 105, you have accept a downgrade? :laugh: from 8 to 12 speed.

I used to be quite a fan of Claris shifters, thinking that they were way better made then they should be but the chainset was the pre Claris named 2000 series with steel rings. Now the chainset has been upgraded but sadly the shifters are closer to what I would have expected Claris to be.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
As per others, I think that's a decent bike and likely new chain, gear cables, cassette and jockey wheels will have running like new for very little money.

Upgrades are likely to be sufficiently expensive, as to be uneconomic, plus arguably 8 speed triple gives you everything a 10 or 11 speed double would anyway.

If I were to "upgrade" I'd keep the triple and go to sora 9 speed.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
GCN did an article where they actually ask if tiagra is now the "peoples" groupset given that 105 is so expensive now , i have run tiagra since 2016 and its been faultless, in fact im still using the groupset on my latest project bike. The only reason i "upgraded" to 11 speed was someone gave me it free from the club as he had to stop cycling due to ill health .
If you still want 105 another option would be to look for good condition used 10 speed 105 as you still get the vibe without the cost.
Wheels are the stumbling block , its the hub width thats the issue as 11 speed use a slightly wider hub to get the extra sprocket on .They do fit in normal frame width and you can use less gears with a spacer .I would suggest if the wheels are original its worth checking the brake track for wear anyway .
TBH i run 8. 10 and 11 speed and apart from smaller jumps between gears thats not really any difference and from 10-11 i cant even tell the difference .
If your looking for a bike around 1 k you can pick up a boardman for £900 atm with 11 speed 105, people might knock the company but the bike always gets good reviews
https://www.halfords.com/bikes/road...gn=boardman-bikes&utm_source=Boardman-website

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
disc brakes uhm , divided opinions abound as although they are great for consistent braking a well set up rim brake will perform just as well or even better unless you plan to ride in really bad conditions .I can only add my tuppence on cable disc which i use on my commuter and even though i upgraded to dual piston they are a bit pants for stopping power overall .

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The Allez are great bikes and there’s nothing wrong with 8 speed and shouldn’t be expensive to replace worn components.
New Cassette, chain & cables. If you are not confident in doing this yourself then pop it in to the local bike shop, shouldn’t be more than an hours labour.

Top Bottom