Modifying a sweet Domane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Trygg

I recently experienced a mechanical fault when several bolts on the inside chain ring of my 2020 TREK Domane SLR 7 e-Tap AXS backed out and resulted in a gouge to my right chain stay. TREK offered a 30% discount on a new bike conditioned on return of the original frame and I ordered a new bike intending to take this option. Subsequently, I was made aware of carbon frame repair services offered by Ruckus Composites in Portland, OR. They repaired my chain stay and matched all paint such that there is no evidence of the initial damage. In addition, they offer a lifetime guarantee on their work. I therefore decided to keep both bikes and paid the full cost of the replacement.

I am awaiting delivery of the 2022 Domane, but I am blessed to be enjoying a well-repaired 2020 twin. Had I known that such repairs were this good, I would not have ordered a new bike. Going forward, I have considered offering the older bike for sale, but it is a 60 CM frame and will not fit many cyclists. Secondly, I do not wish to participate in endless discussions of whether repaired carbon frames will withstand the test of time, lifetime warranty or not.

I am therefore considering conversion options. I own a great road/gravel option (the soon-to-be-delivered 2022 Domane) and I own a great mountain bike ( a Trek Fuel EX). I ask you to offer your thoughts on what changes you might make to create a bike to fit the niche of comfortable urban/city/hybrid bike.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'd put the 38mm max tyre size on your old Trek SLR, get a shorter and flip the handlebar stem to make a more relaxed position.

Bike already comes with 11-34 cassette If I was going a bit more off road I'd probably swap the front crank for a GRX 48/31 for better hill climbing.

OP
OP
Trygg

Trygg

Hey, thanks for your ideas....a more relaxed position is definitely attractive and the crank suggestion is also a winner.

si_c

Guru
My suggestion would be to just go out and ride some gravel and find out what works and what doesn't. Once you've done that you can decide what you want to change and then from there look at equipment.

OP
OP
Trygg

Trygg

I thank the three of you for your suggestions. I have decided to pursue the course you outlined and am now exploring the wilderness for parts. Thanks once again.

OP
OP
Trygg

Trygg

I have owned my original since 2020 and have really loved the bike. I had been riding a 2008 Madone 5.5 and found the Domane superior in accommodation of different surfaces, flat resistance ( I run tubeless), comfort, and gearing (Dura Ace vs SRAM eTap AXS). I am as fast on the Domane as I have ever been. It’s why I bought another.

DRM

Guru
My suggestion would be to just go out and ride some gravel and find out what works and what doesn't. Once you've done that you can decide what you want to change and then from there look at equipment.
This quite sensible advice, the trails local to you can be very different to others localities, by riding in your area you can see where your current bike lets you down and spec the new one from there

Top Bottom