Moment of fame...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I once appeared on TV when I was 8 or 9. I was in the audience of Ask Oddie, a wildlife programme, and they cut to me looking bored interested for about 10 seconds.
But the episode they showed me on wasn't the one I was at. I must have been that good that they used me in other episodes ;)

(it may also have helped that I had a Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles jumper on)

Around the same time a group of us had to cycle a mile to meet Prince Charles, where I shook is hand and answered a question from him. It may have been on the radio as it was being recorded but I didn't hear it.

longers said:
Is the "hands" project still going ahead? That might be my moment of fame.

No, that was a different band for whom I was doing the photography. They never paid me - not even expenses - and they started to take the piss a bit, so I knocked that on the head. Sorry.;)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'm famous in France, I think.

I was interviewed by a French TV crew recently outside a Sale Vs Leicester Tigers match, and asked what I thought about SeaBass (Sebastian Chebal). In French.

And then a few months later whilst making bio-diesel on a course. This time I spoke in English.

Hilldodger said:
I'm the bloke with the Penny Farthing:biggrin:

I saw a leaflet yesterday on a notice board outside my daughter's primary school (in Leicester) relating to cycling and included "meet Roger and his penny farthing" or words to that effect. Is this another moment of fame for Mr Hilldodger?

Moment of Imfamy

Pictured on the front page of the local paper looking at a 50ft fountain of water after having a bit of a mishap with a high pressure water main –

Headline “Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink” – luckily the fountain was so big that to get it in the picture we were very small figures in the photo

My picture made the sports pages of the local newspaper two years in a row when I was about 14 - 15 for scoring a couple of goals in successive season of Sunday league football. Not an unheard of thing in football but I was a goalkeeper and had scored both from from my own 18 yard box at the opposite end of the pitch. There was some reference to them being likened to similar one scored by Pat Jennings (IRC) way back when.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, I was on University Challenge. "Archer, York!" We got through round one, but went out to Balliol in the second.

I still have the acetate strip with Archer on it, from the front of the desk, it's on my living room door. The give it to you once you're out. And I have the photo of us posing with Paxman.

I answered 4 starters for 10, the answers were Basil Brush, Polenta, Neap tides, and Sciatica.

I was in the Daily Express, Manx edition, with a photo in 1961 & then in 1962 featured in the then posh Sporting Cyclist 'glossy' magazine with pics of my Mum and Dad too, following the Ladies 25 TT in the Isle of Man Cycling week.

There was a pic of me on Rob Brock's Anthrotech towing a trailer with about 5 recumbents on, in a copy of "Bycycle".

Arch, it's always nice to see people you know on the TV. I wish I'd seen it. We'd have been cheering for you.

Just leaving Deansgate station last week with my Brompton, was approached by the BBC Radio Manchester and interviewed! No time for nerves.

Mr Campfire was on Test the Nation!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
Well done!!

I'm afraid I would only ever qualify for 'Universally Challenged'.

The chaps who arranged the York team selection and entry was a media student, who I think was doing it for his CV. He was heard sneering, on the supporters minibus over to Granada, that we were 'a bunch of know-it-alls'. Which I thought was sort of the point...

Mind you, we were told that we should avoid wearing tops with large logos (for non-commercial reasons), stripes (because of strobing) or a green colour (as the moving background is colour separated overlaid on a green screen and we'd have disappeared). So one of our team turned up in a green striped Lacoste top.... <sigh>

Arch

Married to Night Train
Mad Doug Biker said:
I take it the green striped Lacoste top wasn't donned in the name of irony then??

He may have been pushing the boundaries to see how far he got. What he got was a t-shirt from the stock of spares they keep for dealing with smartarse students like him....;)

Top Bottom