Mongoose Crossway 350 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biffosbats

Evening each, had a Halfords Apollo MTB type bike for about 15 months now, (yeah OK don't laugh, first bike for 20 years) it's had some use on the road and the towpaths, but now wanting to add a hybrid and do more on the road, with the option of still taking it easy by the canal sometimes. Done loads of surfing and comparing and getting ready to try to blag a test ride or two from my local bike shops. But, I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of models - one of which is the Mongoose Crossway 350 Disc. Seems OK for the cash - Evans are doing it for £370, but I have seen it online, fully assembled and delivered for £50 less!

Anyone out there got any reports - good, bad or indifferent - on this one? I am female (don't suggest the ladies' version please!), bit overweight but fairly fit otherwise (gym 4 times a week, plus cycling more as weather improves - 30 miles is about my average spin out each time). Planning on new bike to mostly stick to the roads but would like to retain the option of the towpaths now and then, hence the hybrid seems a sensible move.

I am also looking at the GT Zum 2 - only supplier I can find is dear old Halfords - would greatly appreciate any reports on this, especially versus the Mongoose.

There's a Giant CRS4 at my local bike shop for about £375 - looks boring and no disc brakes - any info??

Likewise, if there's an interesting alternative I haven't considered for about the 350 mark, then bring it on.

Thanks in advance for your opinions etc!

Cheers

I've seen 2009 Giant Escape's selling for £350 which (IMO) is a much better bike than any that you've mentioned and they have Hydraulic Disc brakes

Simon

OP
OP
B

biffosbats

Thanks to everyone who responded. Evans tell me the Mongoose Crossway 350, although appearing on their website and being listed as delivery in 5-7 days' time, is not actually released yet!!! However, I have also found it on one or two other direct websites (i.e. mail order) so either someone is not getting deliveries through or is giving misinformation. Have found a couple of other makes arounf the £350-£400 mark with discs and also not in black or silver! Bikes are starting to all look the same: as Henry Ford once said, "you can have any colour as long as it's black"!

BTW, after a trawl of several local bike shops, one of which is long-established and seemingly has a good rep, tells me categorically that there are no gents' frame hyrbids available with a 16 or 17 inch frame!! Maybe I got the guy on a bad day - I think he knew his stuff about bikes gereally, as I was subjected to a 20-minute tirade on Chinese steel prices, amongst a host of other technical and seriously boring bike-related stuff, none of which would lead my to even jump on a bike, let alone buy one from them!

Hey ho, back to the internet and a few more local shops methinks!

Thanks again for comments!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As a female owner of a Giant Escape - I like it... and you can definitely get hybrid bikes in a 17" frame as I own one ... but my Escape is a 19" frame. Maybe they meant they didn't stock them or not in the particular model they showed you?

Coco

biffosbats said:
Evans tell me the Mongoose Crossway 350, although appearing on their website and being listed as delivery in 5-7 days' time, is not actually released yet!!!

I had problems trying to buy a bike from Evans just before Xmas. Bike listed as in stock, but not when I tried to buy it. To be fair to them they gave me a really good deal on the bike I eventually got, so it might be worth giving them a call and seeing what they can offer you.

OP
OP
B

biffosbats

I have tracked down a Mongoose Crossway 350 (presumably the 2009 model - v diff to tell between the 2009 or 2010 models, except by price!) and have sat on it in my local shop. It's quite upright but v comfy (?!)and the 'small' frame (which actually measures out at 17.5 inches!) seems a good fit (I am a 27ish inside leg and 5 foot 4 tall in my new Lidl cycling sox!!) Local shop is doing it 30 quid cheaper than Evans, (so £350) but hey I find an internet/real shop seller in Buxton doing the 2009 model with discs for 287 delivered! Anyone got any experience of ActiveSport based in Buxton please?

Kthxbai
biffosbats

Top Bottom