Monkey rides bike chased by dog.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
That's it really: enjoy.

Assume that the monkey has read the Paradox of the Chimp and zee the result.

Sharky

Guru
Up to last night, I would have smiled and said "what a clever monkey".
However, on the Beeb this morning they were running a story about animal cruelty. If you see any animal doing anything that they wouldnt do naturally in the wild, it would have been trained or forced to do something unnatural. And in many cases where an animal fails to pick up the trick, they are of no use to it's "owner" who is probably trying to make money from it and the poor animal is killed.

So thanks to the Beeb, I can never smile at an animal performing tricks.

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
We are animals. Cycling is not a natural behaviour, yet we, animals, learned and adapted to it. It's not a natural behaviour for children, yet, almost every parent teaches their children to do it - some learn willingly and others less so. Is this wrong? I'm forever grateful that my father persevered with me and I still remember my first faltering pedal strokes down the garden path.
Who's not to say the monkey and the dog aren't having a lot of fun chasing and being chased and that some animals are not capable of learning some behaviours from humans without any coercion or being under any duress, as it's entirely to their advantage in some way?
One could argue that monkeys and humans are so similar that cycling is as natural, or unnatural for them as it is to us.

I don't know the story behind the clip, or what happened before or after - (maybe the money stole the bike?) but my default position is not (always) to assume the worst about my fellow humans, - that, in this case, cruelty was involved.

Last edited:

matiz

Guru
I'm glad someone else has voiced doubts; I couldn't help thinking that if the monkey were able to exhibit its natural behaviour, it would have got away from the dog far more quickly and effectively, probably straight up a tree.

I don't think the monkey was worried about the dog at all he was just winding it up, I would be more worried about the dog if it all kicked off.

Top Bottom